Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning My Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

My computer is a few years old, so maybe my concerns are meaningless, but it can't hurt to ask can it?
I have a Dell Dimension Desktop 4600 and its fan makes a lot of noise constantly. Because it's in my room where I study and do many things, I find it rather annoying. Both my monitor and case are on a desk, but the back of my case is covered in dust. My belief is that since it is dusty on the outside, it is probably dusty on the inside; thus making everything run inefficiently and overheat? Is there someway that I can clean/remove the dust from inside the case (or determine if the inside is full of dust)?

Note: I am completely inexperienced when it comes to dealing with the hardware of computers.

Thank you!
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

Get a can or two of compressed air (don't use a vacuum cleaner, or an air compressor).
Unplug the system and take it outside.
Open the case and blow it out - keep a careful eye on where the air is blowing (so if something comes loose due to too much air pressure you'll see it).
Check to make sure that all the inlets and exhausts are cleaned out.
Some Dells have shrouds over the CPU's - you'll have to remove the shroud to clean out the CPU cooler.
Look for dust everywhere - anyplace you find it, blow it off.
Don't over-rev the fans when blowing air through them - hold the blades from turning while doing this (use a stick or a pen otherwise you'll chill the heck out of your fingers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

Good to see you back, Elendil.
For those of us who are hardware-challenged:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

I followed this when I got around to cleaning the inside of my case. You are right---no matter how clean you keep the area surrounding your computer, all sorts of stuff finds its way into the case.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 May 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thank you for your help, both of you! I haven't begun cleaning yet because I'm going to be getting a new comp, so when my new one arrives, I'll clean this one up and give it to my brother.

P.S. It's not quite a coming back jgweed :thumbsup: while summer is approaching I'm as busy as ever, but I will have slightly more time to dedicate back to HJT when school is officially out. :flowers:

Edited by Elendil, 29 May 2007 - 08:54 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

Don't wait too long. Processors don't like heat! It really doesn't take all that long to do the cleaning.

Busy summer? I know the feeling :thumbsup: I am glad to hear you are hanging in there with your HJT studies.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

Get your brother to help you, Elendil, if he is old enough. It will be a good way for both of you to learn something new.
Ah! Summer!
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users