Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't Know What The Cause Of This Is. Please Help Me Analyze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:01 AM

Lately I tried using the trend micro housecall online scanner and one of the things it found was the adware bestoffer. I hit the clean button and action seemed to be taken. When I ran it in safe mode with networking, I saw the problem there again. I couldn't find the directory where it is though (using search modes and checking for entries like tbon and smiley). Anyway, those were on the recommended settings. I tried the online scanner again in normal mode but this time I used complete search. When I came back, I noticed the computer restarted itself. This was also the same problem I had before I did the major overhaul with the pc (changed motherboard, ram, processor) and primary hard drive.. during thorough antivirus scanning it restarts. Now it is a new system and it pretty much did the same thing. I was thinking maybe it was a power surge but when that happens, my computer should stay off and not remain on.

Other weird things ... i downloaded a movie from savefile and whenever i would highlight it's icon on the mydocs folder, I would notice faint flickering on the lower part of the monitor. The files beside it didn't do that when single clicked. It is now deleted and gone.

Also, i've been having ie7 probs lately that arise when i open too many tabs. the next tab would appear but the (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help) toolbar would disappear and I couldn't copy/paste/save stuff. But I think this is a memory leak internet explorer defect. When that happens, i need to close previously open ie windows to open new windows. plus when i save pics when this thing happens, they are saved but when restarted, you can't find them anymore.

Anyway, here's my log and tell me what you think. Please help me, thanks. I'm a klutz when it comes to computers and I need a guy's help.

(already scanned with adaware and stuff in safe mode)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:56:38 PM, on 5/27/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16441)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\VIAudioi\SBADeck\ADeck.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\HJT01\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDeck] C:\Program Files\VIAudioi\SBADeck\ADeck.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1177326511046
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jin...ows-i586-jc.cab
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Hello Stacy Jamie and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I don't see any signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

When a system automatically restarts it normally points to a hardware issue. Either there is a malfunctioning piece of hardware or driver file for a piece of hardware. When the system reboots, it does not allow you to see the actual error message that occurred and the error is not recorded anywhere.

To see what is happening you will need to disable the Automatic Restart option. To do that, follow these steps:
  • Click Start->Settings->Control Panel
  • If not already selected choose Classic View in the left-hand pane
  • In the right-hand pane double-click System to open the System Settings applet
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button
  • In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart
  • Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
  • Click OK in the System Properties window.
From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

When a BSOD occurs, copy down the information on the screen exactly and completely. Then post that information in the Hardware forum for the techs there to analyze. The techs in that forum specialize in matters pertaining to hardware issues. Let them know that you have been to this forum and that no malware was found.

When posting to any other forum, do not post a HijackThis log or the post will simply be moved back to this forum for infection analysis. That is what HijackThis is used for and that is what we specialize in here in this forum.

Also, when posting in any other forum for assistance, give as much detail as possible regarding any issues that are occurring. The more information they have, the better the techs can analyze the issue and make any recommendations for resolving it.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:22 AM

Thanks so much! Should I leave my computer on for like 16 - 24 hrs or something? Just to check if it restarts again on its own?

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hi Stacy Jamie. Sure you can leave the computer on to see what it does. I never shut my computer off. I reboot it every couple of months to give it a fresh perspective on life but otherwise it is always on.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users