Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash Analysis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drkernel

drkernel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Can someone clarify to me the following question?

In windows we set where the dump file will be created.

In many books i see references for storing the dump file in the page file.

I am confused where finaly it is stored in the page file or the place we set in windows?

Maybe, first it is saved in the page and from there in win dir (we have defined)?

Please elaborate.

Drkernel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

A dump file is created during a crash and (in the case of a full dump) contains the contents of memory (so a full dump is about the size of your installed memory). It uses the pagefile to "dump" the physical memory, then saves it to your hard drive. Full memory dumps are usually located in the Windows directory, while smaller "mini" dumps may be found in the Windows\minidump directory.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drkernel

drkernel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Dependying how windows is set up, it may keep rebooting and do not know it does so.

To figure out, it does so, one way is to set the machine create a minidump and look for it.

Is there any other way?

Another question i want to ask is

When setting from boot.ini debug mode, what else we achieve ?

Are "debuge mode" and "minidump" related?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

In order to debug, you'll have to see the contents of the dump files. There's an explanation of an abbreviated method of debugging here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

But the actual "debug" is well beyond what we do here - and is used by driver writers to make sure that the drivers that they write are bug free.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users