Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D600 Or Compaq 620c?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:26 AM

I have a niece that is using my toshibas at the moment for university and I want to get her a notebook for herself.

My software techie recommended a company that he deals with and they have 2 models that interest me, however I always have bought toshiba.

One is the Dell Latitude D600
Centrion 1.4 ghz
512 mb
40 gb
14.1 tft active matrix (that is the size she wants)
32 ATI Radeon 7500 Video Card
Can read cd, dvd, burn dvd
10/100/1000Mbit Network card
2 usb 2.0 Ports
Windows xp home
90 day warranty
6 month warranty $ 49 xtra for hardware
12 mo $79 xtra for hardware

I am very ignorant about having 2 separate computers in 1 house and a high speed connection.
I have D-links modem dsl 300g, smc barricade and alpha shield

What else will I have to get so that she has her own system operational.
I have already got her a e-mail address.

But don't know about hooking the computers together.

Do I have to pay more to the high speed provider???

I am on a contract with the phone company here in canada til 2009.

I would appreciate experienced comments from all of those knowledgeable members out there, before I go out and make a big mistake.

You will also see a post that i am looking at purchasing her either a Dell Latitude 600C or a Compaq n620 C, i have read the reviews and they appear about the same. I posted in the Hardware Forum to see if any member has comments.
Both notebooks have 90 day warranty and $49 for 6 months more or $79 for 1 year. This is for hardware only.
The notebooks are from government offices and have been refurbished.

The store said the Compaq was pre merger with HP and was a good unit.

Again I would appreciate comments, thankyou for your time.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

Ok for the computers IMO the compaq would be better it has a Pentium M processor and its capable of handling 2 gigs of ram. Also the Mobility Radeon video card is nice. As for networking or connecting both computers to the highspeed internet you will need a router. Either a wired router if both computers are in the same room and she doesnt like to move the laptop. Or a wireless router where you can use the computers wherever you wan't in the house. If you choose the wireless router the laptop will need a wireless card. The computer that sits next to the modem can be connected with a cable and doesn't require wireless capability unless you wan't to move that one too. Anything from D-Link and Linksys will full fill your needs. And before you ask about all those letters 802.11 A, B, G, MIMO etc. Unless you have a HUGE house 802.11 G should be ok.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

You won't have to pay you're phone company "Extra" fees. With a router it will share the one internet line you have for both computers. Though if you're both downloading something at the same time it will slow down.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

You won't have to pay you're phone company "Extra" fees. With a router it will share the one internet line you have for both computers. Though if you're both downloading something at the same time it will slow down.

Forgot about that one.. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

Thx for the replies, I have been away and just got to read the comments.
In the meantime, I have found a new Acer which is good enough for her needs and I can get a 2 year warranty that covers everything from Staples except dropping etc. for the price of a used one, so I think I will go for it.

However, I seem to get mixed reviews that Acer is Cheap.... hardware wise e.g. HD, memory etc.

Comments anyone??

I myself go for toshiba, but this one does not need that high a quality to warrant the price tag!!

Cheers and I look forward to comments, :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

I got an Acer to replace the broken Compaq at my wife's office - both were low end computers, but were sufficient for her needs.

Acer used to have a reputation for being cheap, but from what I've seen recently that reputation isn't deserved. The new one's don't seem to break any more often than any other PC brand.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users