Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is The Main Difference Between Home Ed & Pro?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:07 AM

I have 2 toshiba notebooks with Home Ed.; and older one 4 years old satellite 2410 and a newer 2 year old with the same program.

I don't plan on getting into vista until after Feb 2009 when my extended Toshiba warranty runs out on my M50-MX 5.

i have been given a sealed disk by my bro who is a software tech in Europe that is ready to be installed; however I am ignorant of the benefits.

I really dislike notebooks b/c they come with bundled software and so i was considering getting a techie to uninstall and install the Pro version on my new notebook, however wondered about the benefits and whether it warranted such a change.

I would appreciate all comments, thankyou.

I will get Vista when all of the bugs are out and that for me will be when my Toshiba warranty runs out in 2009.
Again I look forward to hearing from experienced users.
Thankyou for your time.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:35 AM

Pro version has everything that home had and some additional stuff that home does not have.

See MS Windows XP Comparison Guide for more information.

and a simple search on Google gave me so much information.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

Thx for the reply and I did my reading. What is confusing me is that I have 3 notebooks for other family members in the house here.
Currently, I have a D-Link DSL 300G Modem, smc Barricade Router and Alpha shield apart from my software security programs that are on each notebook.

Right now I take on notebook off and connect the users notebook and do the same for the 3rd.
All have their own email address, all are hi-speed and xp home.

I have a chance to get xp pro at a decent price and wondered if I have to do that to conncet the 3 computers so that I don't have to keep taking them apart so each user gets to use their own notebook.
As you can see I am no techie.

xp home has been fine to date. the notebooks are 2 yrs old.

I would appreciate your replies, thankyou for your time.
Sorry if it is a silly question.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

If I understand you correctly, you want to have all 4 computers online at the same time? That has nothing to do with the software
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 May 2007 - 02:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Yes, that is correct and that is why I was confused b/c of the word "network" and Windows xp Pro.

I would appreciate comments, as I don't know if I have to go out and by more attachments to augment what I described my connection to be at the present time.
Thankyou.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

I'm not familiar with your router and my network (and skills) is rather ancient. To hook up to the internet do you have to plug in a cable or are you wireless? You have the cable going into your modem then the modem to the router. You can purchase a wireless access point to also plug into the router, then all the laptops can connect to it. For the laptops, each needs a wireless network card. Unless they're newer and have built-in wifi
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Probably, you have nothing much to worry about if you want all 4 computer to use the internet at the same time be it XP Home or Pro.

If your laptop are 2 years old, they should have built in wireless card.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Thx for the replies, yes all computers are only 2 years old and have built in wi fi cards and at the moment have been turned off my my software techie.

Thus since I am no guru here when it comes to hooking up to a network I am simply an incompentent understander of what is required.
My software tech suggeste the Router SMC Barricad 7004 vbr. and then of course my alpha shield. I do see connections at the back of the smc for 3 more Lan connections.

The Router and Alpha Shield have been working fine for me and thus I want to continue to use them, however am unsure if I have to buy other attachments???

And am thinking about buying a Dell 600 D for the younger one in the family and I don't believe that it has wireless built in and that I have to use a card.
He has to be on the internet with us and so I hope that I can ask how and if this is possible.

I will delete the other kid's computer and use the teen's 600D in place of the other one as he is the priority teen for school work, however I don't know what the difference is between a card wi fi and built in.
Always have had built in, but never used it.

I really appreciate informed comments and look forward to hearing from you.

BC is an excellent forum, however if there is an issue that no one is aware of re hook ups please let me know and I will post elsewhere.
Cheers and thankyou for your time.

#9 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

have built in wi fi cards and at the moment have been turned off my my software techie.

Why did the software techie disabled your built in wireless adapter?

The Router and Alpha Shield have been working fine for me and thus I want to continue to use them, however am unsure if I have to buy other attachments???

I don't think there's any other things for you to get at the moment, if you just want to hook up all the PC to use the internet.

I will delete the other kid's computer and use the teen's 600D in place of the other one

I don't get what you meant here. And I can't find any information regarding DELL 600D, is there any website or stuff that you can refer me to?
Probably, DELL 600D is a notebook right? If so, look under the specification of the notebook and see if there's wireless adapter stated.

however I don't know what the difference is between a card wi fi and built in.

Built in wireless adapter card means that it comes and built inside the laptop.

Wi-fi card simply mean wireless adapter card and if for example, your desktop and/or any older version of notebook that does not comes with built-in wireless adapter card, then you may get one wireless adapter card to slot into your desktop/notebook and use wirelessly.

There are 3 type of wireless adapter and that comes in PCI/USB and PCMCIA. PCMCIA is used for your notebook only and PCI is used for your desktop only. For USB, both desktop and laptop will be able to use.

If you still have any question, feel free to ask.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

All you need is a wireless access point. It will plug into the back of your router. All the laptops can connect to it anywhere in the house. They are relativity inexpensive, no more than your router
WAP definition-Wikipedia
This is D-Link's wap
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 28 May 2007 - 09:15 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

Thx for the replies, I have to read more on xp Pro, as I still really don't understand clearly the difference and since my bro can get me it for a decent price and I can change one of our notebooks that are basically within 2 years of age then I am wondering if I will have to get books to learn how to operate it.

The reason that I raise this is that I had my computer give up the ghost in 2000 and thought that I did not need one until everyone kept telling me to look at "www." and I kept saying that I had no Computer which blew everyone away.

Hence I went fron DOS to XP and had to get about 6 books so that i could figure out what this new user friendly software could do for a "nerd" like me.
Now I want in a way to venture into Pro, before I go onto Vista in the future, but wonder if it is going to be complicated to learn???

All comments would be appreciated, as an example does it take more RAM???

Kind regards and have a great day!!!!

#12 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

I am wondering if I will have to get books to learn how to operate it.

Probably no. Unless you really want something to read up on your free time. Otherwise, there are really a lot of article on the internet regarding Windows XP.

I believe that you have been using Window XP Home Edition for 2 years or more, you should be more or less familiar with Window XP. Home or Pro have no much difference other than more features to use.

You should be fine with XP Pro.

As far as I know, Window XP Home and Pro takes in the same amount of RAM to operate.

You can take a look over here too - System requirements for Windows XP operating systems

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

Have to agree with Nikas, you probably won't even notice the difference. While there are extra apps. with Pro, it shouldn't be an issue for you. I have 2 computers one with Home and one with Pro.. My wife muddles through them both just fine :thumbsup: Just remember to keep your firewall and anti-virus updated
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 13 June 2007 - 07:39 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

the big advantage to pro or W2k over home is browsemaster elections when using file and printer sharing within a workgroup

many people today have small networks at home that should be run like a small business one would, having pro on the best computer which is logged onto the network first and then becomes a quasi server for the shares is a distinct advantage
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

I've recommended XPHome to many people over XPPro just due to the cost savings. A quick look at the differences link that Nikas posted back in Post #2 will tell you if it's needed in your situation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users