Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telnet Service - How To Close That Port

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gzu88bv

gzu88bv

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:46 AM

Can somebody enlighten me?

When I probe my common ports with „Shields Up“ from Steve Gibson, Gibson Research Corp. it says that TELNET at port 23 is wide open and should be immediately attended to.

When in XP Pro I run “services.msc” within the start/run box I can see that within services my TELNET service is deactivated.

I’m am scared of any intruders and would therefore love to hear from you pros what I should do to close that port. Please explain step by step.

I run a 4-Port 10/100M Internet Broadband Router with ADSL Annex A/B Modem from SURECOM and I protect my computer with McAfee Security Center
rel. 7.2 (Build 7.2.147) last updated on 07/03/31.

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

The telnet port is open in the router, you must use the routers built in utilities to disable that port. Hopefully you have the owners manual available that can show you how to do this. The only thing I found is this: http://www.surecom-net.com/001-support.htm hopefully this is the correct company.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users