Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 67sailor

67sailor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

I currently use Zone Alarm free firewall, avast On-Access scanner, CounterSpy, AdAware personal and just recently installed a-Squared with a-Squared guard. All except AdAware are active and running and I have some question whether or not I need all of them running at the same time mainly because a-Squared guard uses almost 80,000k of resources while it's running. With avast using about 35,000k and CounterSpy using about 40,000k I was just wondering if it's necessary to have all of them "running" at the same time. Would it be drastically "unsafe" to shut down a-Squared guard and only use its scanner say 1x a week and keep avast, Zone Alarm and CounterSpy running? Or is that just too much temptation for Lady Fate to bypass?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

Hello 67sailor

Your off to a good start. Keep in mind that no single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus provides the most complete protection.

However, you can over do it with resource heavy programs that will slow down you system performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone. Those folks still on dial-up certainly don't want to add too many programs requiring daily updating or they will spend all their time just doing that.

See "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

Assuming you (and anyone else using your computer) follow best security practices about your on-line activities, especially about what sites you visit, as well as cookie-allowance and browser security settings, I would suggest using only one anti-spyware real-time protection.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 67sailor

67sailor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

quietman7 and jgweed, thanks for the information; that helped.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

Your welcome.

Have a safe Memorial Day yourself.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018