Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ready Boost

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used readyboost? and if so does it increase performance much at all. I have an LG flash drive but readyboost says its not compatible to use so what type of flash drive do you need to have as the LG I have is 2 gig capacity and only about 6 months old.
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:21 AM

Monty007.
The less main memory you have, the more you will notice readyboost's help with performance.
Readyboost requires a usb 2.0 flash device between 250MB and 4GB in size.
It must be capable of 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K "random" reads and 1.75MB/sec for "random" writes.
Many flash drive makers rate the speed of their devices using "sequential" read performance, which is not the same.

#3 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Hit Squad, ok why Im asking is my laptop is the not the fastest but the Vista adviser rates it as a Vita home or basic so waht should I look for when purchasing a readyboost flash drive? Also can there be some data on the flash drive or must it have no data stored on it at all?
MCP
MSDST

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

Some new flashdrives have "Enhanced for Ready Boost" on them which makes it easier than trying to find the exact specifications of the drive.

You can select how much of the flashdrive to use as Ready Boost RAM, and the rest will remain available for files.

You can also use some SD memory cards for Ready Boost, too. For notebook PCs, this might be a better alternative since the card doesn't stick out like the flashdrive does, and you can leave it in most of the time.

Here's a brief description of the Ready Boost feature from Microsoft - Vista Ready Boost feature explained.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

I have seen articles where ReadyBoost's speed increase is minimal or not existent in some cases. In some instances, ReadyBoost decreases speed. I've used it on an old desktop and it seems to work fine.

3939.png

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

As a generalization, ReadyBoost works best in low memory situations (typically 512 mB of RAM) - and it's performance increase becomes less noticeable as memory increases.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

That's true. If you already have enough RAM for Vista to run smoothly, ReadyBoost isn't needed.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users