Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Desktop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cjrolls

cjrolls

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

Greetings all. This is my first post so please excuse me if I do something wrong.

I have also lost my desktop completly (on another pc). i.e no explorer.exe in task manager. I have no right click either. Occasionaly my icons and start bar come up but only for approx one sec, then they are gone again. One post said "two words, system restore". I have tried this but for some reason my machine says "no system restore points available" I use XP and vet and run Adaware but none of these seem to have helped. Have tried safe mode but when reboot the same problem exists. PLEASE can someone help. p.s also tried "." in run but nothing happened

Moderator Edit: Split topic into it's own thread from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81127/how-can-i-get-my-desktop-back/ ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 May 2007 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

cjrolls try this

Superkey (aka Windows key) + R like USASMA said and then type in "explorer.exe" instead of the "."

also see if you can get the command line up (type "cmd" in run dialog)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 26 May 2007 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

#3 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thanks BlackSpyder but superkey + R does nothing. Got to the command line and typed explorer.exe . My desktop was displayed for one sec, then gone. I copied explorer.exe from my other pc also but it did the same thing. opened it for one sec then it dissapeared. Am at my wits end and dont know what else to try. Thanks in advance

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

One of the other threads recently pointed out WinKey + E will open Windows Explorer - give it a shot, I really like it!

As for the "killing" of your explorer.exe process - this is commonly seen in malware attacks. As such, I'd suggest a couple of free, online scans to double check your current protection package. Here's the one's that I use:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, tried both scan sites, both found problems and were cleaned. Although on reboot no icons or start bar, nothing. Winkey+E does nothing, ctr, alt del is the only thing that works, also tried opening another user account which worked until reboot then nothing again. Please any suggestions

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

Run the task manager, click the processes tab, click image name to sort, find explorer.exe, r click, click end process tree, click applications tab, new task, type in explorer.exe, OK. also look for internet explorer (iexplore.exe), use the same method to end the running processes. run a new copy of internet explorer, and try to download and run the following two programs:

SuperAntispyware and Rogue Remover. Here are the links

http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

http://www.supreantispyware.com/

make sure that you run all updates, and that you do a complete scan with SAS. let it fix everything that it finds, and restart the computer.

Edited by oldf@rt, 28 May 2007 - 01:41 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for your reply. Link to superantispyware did not work so am trying your other link. Many thanks

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:17 AM

SuperAntiSypware that a direct download to the free edition. (off of BC's Freeware replacements thread). A download will start when you click it

Posted Image

#9 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

Did exactly as stated, found many trojan and adware, upon reboot still no desktop. Explorer.exe is once again gone from task manager. My laptop is not even connected to the net now so after all these trojans and spyware have been removed why does my explorer.exe still vanish. Thanks

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

2 possible reasons:

1) there is still a virus on your system that hasn't been removed
2) the removal of the virus' has corrupted Windows.

I'd suggest posting a HiJackThis logfile first. Please read the instructions here (and post the log there): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Once the HJT Team certifies your logfile to be clean, post back here and we can fix up any problems that may remain.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. Link to superantispyware did not work so am trying your other link. Many thanks

sorry about that (mistyped the link)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 puttersonsale

puttersonsale

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

i have the same problem down to the tooth and was wondering of i can think on how you were/are able to fix this if @ all? do you have a link to your hijackthis thread? I am trying everything i can think of without resorting to using the hijack method since it has a stern warning. I feel confident in my PC skills but, havent slept in a couple days trying to fix this so i dont trust my senses @ the moment hehe.

#13 puttersonsale

puttersonsale

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

another thing i noticed is that when a virus program gets close to solving some of the issues there seems to be one or more files which trigger a blue screen. I cant remember the file name but its like AV--sumthing ruther.sys so i believe its an antivirus thing that alters the malware or bad file to trigger a error or blue screen of death.......atm i read the prep tips for hijack this and am working on using panda free edition @ the moment. making sure to uninstall any previous spy/antivirus software before using a new one since i dont wanna conflict....another thing is i read somewhere that scanning in safe mode may be another tip/answer.

#14 puttersonsale

puttersonsale

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

in the above post i meant alerts not "alters" sheesh i cant spell.

#15 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

hi puttersonsale
welcome to b.c
the link for hjt is here
it does sound like you have a couple of issues that need resolving.
if you follow the link above and complete the instructions to the letter(ignore 1and 2 as your already registered)
and post your log in hjt thread you will be helped out.
please note there is a high demand for hjt analysis so it may take couple of days to get a reply please be patient
good luck :thumbsup:

p.s for future refrence you would be better starting your own topic :flowers:

Edited by mz30, 30 May 2007 - 02:33 PM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users