Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jacked Up Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

Every once in a while, i get this weird sorta "clicky" sound from my speakers. It seems to happen randomly. I can even turn my speakers all the way down and i still here the noise, but it's faint. If i turn my speakers all the way up, the noise gets VERY loud.

The sound is sort of this low-pitched tone in a very rapid rythm. If you know music notation, it sounds like a quarter-note followed by 2 eighth notes, then a quarter note rest, then a repeat of the same 1-2 rythm. This goes on for about 4 seconds at a time.

I think it might be an electrical problem, but i have no idea how to fix it, and no real idea about what's causing it. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

Have you checked your drivers? I had a similar issue with the onboard sound on my eMachine and it was the driver.

Another few things it may be (and these are more then common)

1) Worn out speakers, if your using the same speakers I am (the stock eMachines) they arent the greatest and wear out very quickly. How to check: Plug them into a portable player (CD/MP3/MD). if they click buy a new pair

2)Cord or Male connector bad, check the same way as #1 (Your not going to be able to tell if its #1 or #2 but you will know the speakers are the issue and fixing the cord or connector is kinda pointless your going to spend about $10 on a new connector and waste alot of time trying to solder those little wires back together)

3)When does it happen? While playing certain songs or files? the sound files may be corrupted. I dont know of a fix or test for this

4)If everything else check out that means youve got a Bad Female connector or card/onboard. Replace with new card (I had to do this to my eMachine )

Posted Image

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanx for the reply, i'll check out the steps that you posted and respond with my results. It might be a while, though, since i don't know how to reproduce the problem. Sometimes my computer will just be sitting idle for an hour, then it'll start happening.....

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

Update:

I plugged the speakers into my iPod, and after about 20 minutes of being idle, i head the sound again. Thankfully, i have like 4 other pairs of old computer speakers laying around, so the problem is easily solved. At least it's not something dealing w/ my audio card.

Thanx for the help spyder.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Ok, now this is just weird...

I started using my other speakers on my computer, and the same thing started happening. New speakers, new plugs (male end), same area. Maybe it has something to do w/ electrical interference? I have my computer, monitor, cell phone, cordless phone, tv, ps3 (with cordless controllers), ps2, subwoofer and speaker combo (connected to tv), cordless mouse, and tv remote all in a 5 foot radius......

Now that i see it in text, that setup looks horrible...... Anyway, could electrical interference be the problem?

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Actually, of I'm thinking of what you're thinking of, this happens at my school too whenever someone gets a text message on their phone. Check it out, because this may be what is happening. Maybe send a test message to yourself or something right next to the speakers and see if it triggers it.

Edited by T, 27 May 2007 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

I never send or receive text messages, but it might just be ambient interference from the signals coming in and out. I'll try moving my phone and any superfluous electrical items away from the speakers (the old ones) and see if it still continues.

Thanx for the suggestion.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Grab everything electrical and move it away from your computer (at least 30 feet or so) - then try it. If this fixes the problem, then yes - it's the electrical interference that's doing it. If not, then we'll look elsewhere.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users