Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Lcd Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wyllisx2

wyllisx2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

a couple of days ago my new lcd monitor went blank. when i reboot i do get the boot info on screen after that it goes blank. my first thought was my video card. replacing it in the same pci express slot with a new card didn't work. next i replaced the monitor still nothing. i have tried running it with both a dvi & serial cable.

btw the computer was bought at the end of 06 with XP loaded. still running XP.

what are possible causes. my next guess is a bad motherboard or the unlikely event of a second bad monitor.

i haven't tried using a crt since last week i gave my old 1 away since the new computer was running beautifully.

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

Does the power-on LED stay green or orange when it goes blank? Are you getting the "No Signal" message on the screen at all? Were you running the recommended resolution? Can you get as far as entering the BIOS of safemode. Don't mean to ramble, just asking
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wyllisx2

wyllisx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

Does the power-on LED stay green or orange when it goes blank? stays on.

Are you getting the "No Signal" message on the screen at all? no it eventually goes into power saving mode.

Were you running the recommended resolution? my video card allows for almost any resolution

Can you get as far as entering the BIOS of safemode. haven't tried. assuming i can what sholud i being doing in the BIOS?

Thanks,
John

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

As for the resolutions, I know this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Maybe by default, one way or another, you video settings have been set past the abilities of your monitor. Most monitors only support up to 85MHz refresh rate and basically support any resolution the video card can throw at it. The main problem is the refresh rate, because if the video card wants the monitor to do something it can't, it won't display anything. I suggest checking the old CRT to see if it works.

Also, does your video card support 2 monitors? If it does, that will help immensely.

Out of curiosity, what model video card do you have?

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 wyllisx2

wyllisx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'll be checking a crt tomorrow. Not home right now & only have 1 computer there. If the crt works then i'll change the refresh rate settings & try again with the lcd.

The card is a BFG GeForce 7600 GS 256MB, DVI, HDTV, PCI E

#6 wyllisx2

wyllisx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Actually turned out to be a hd crash. Replacement on the way.

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

Never would of guessed :thumbsup:

But hey, thanks for comin back and tellin us, now we have another option in our arsenal if this situation was to arise again.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users