Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noise From Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

I changed the fan on the processor and installed a case fan in my computer because it was makeing noise two days ago, the noise stopped after the new fans got in but today the noise has returned and I dont know what it is.
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

Make sure there aren't any wires hanging by the fan blades. Can you get close to the power supply fan and see if that's it? How noticeable is the noise? Hard drives can make some noise, too. I have an old CD drive that's noisey as heck
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

fans are clear and I belive it is the hard drive
and the noise is quite noticable the hard drive seems to be working fine though, could it die on me soon?

Edited by Nooodle, 26 May 2007 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

You might go here and see if any of these noises are present.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.ns...0c?OpenDocument

#5 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

hmm it sounds like the slow spindle moter one, does that mean its dead? if it is dead I have a back up hard drive in the computer and could I transfer all my data from the whiring one to the good one and boot from it?

Edited by Nooodle, 28 May 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

If it's making a loud noise - then that's not normal and the likelihood is that it's going to fail soon.

Backup should be the first priority.
Next would be to download a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive and run a test on the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:12 AM

how do I transfer all my data to another hard drive and use it as the boot one?
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

First, if the hard drive is dying, then you've gotta assume that it's gonna die sooner rather than later. To maximize the life left in it, don't use the computer any more than is absolutely essential. Each use increases the chance that it's gonna die abruptly on you. And recovering data from a dead hard drive is much, much more difficult (and sometimes expensive) than recovering from a disk that hasn't died (FWIW - a completely dead drive can usually be recovered for around $1600 US by a professional data recovery service).

Then, it depends on how you want to back it up - you can copy it to another hard drive (either internal or external), you can copy it to CD's, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, you can copy to a storage facility online, you can copy it across the network to another computer, or you can copy it to another computer with a crossover cable.

The first step is finding out how much you have to backup and what your system can write to (CD, DVD, DVD DL, etc). Also, do you have a spare hard drive laying around? Maybe you can copy to that.

If you want to copy the data to another hard drive and use it as a boot drive, you'll have to partition the drive into 2 (or more) partitions. The first partition will be for the OS that you're going to install - and the other will be for the data backup. Not difficult, but complicated to do - this will ensure that installing the OS doesn't wipe your data out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

the boot drive right now that is failing is a 40 gig and I have an internal 250 gig that has little or nothing on it, I can use the 250 as the boot drive if I can get the os and everything else on it. but Im not sure how.
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

I'd suggest partitioning the 250 gB drive - leaving about 50 gB for the OS on the first partition. Leave the remainder for storage - then copy the stuff from the 40 gB to the storage partition on the 250 gB drive. Then install Windows on the 50 gB partition.

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

But doesnt the PC always search the drive the OS was originally on, or is it just wherever it can find OS?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

If you leave the 40 gB drive in the PC when installing Windows, that's what will happen. Remove the 40 gB and let Windows install to the first partition on the 250 gB. It'll place the boot sector there and you'll be OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users