Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus , Worm ? On My Computer Maybe Mydoom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 frankw

frankw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any assistance. About a week ago my computer started slowing down. Now when I restart only the background appears. I can access programs ( IE,firefox, etc.) through the task manager. About 5 minutes or so later the icons and task bar appear. Double clicking icons run extremely slow. Ran spybot s & d, avira anti virus ( found mydoom worm i believe) but now I tried to install ad aware and it says there is a problem with windows installer.

Was able to run hijack this, here is log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:15:29 PM, on 5/26/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.verizon.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) (MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSQLEXPRESS (file missing)
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hello frankw and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I don't see any signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

If I had to guess I'm thinking that it is the Windows Automatic Update process.

The HijackThis forum deals exclusively with virus and malware issues. HijackThis does not have the capability to analyze performance, hardware or application issues. For these types of issues I would suggest posting to the The techs in that forum specialize in matters pertaining to the operating system, performance and applications. Let them know that you have been to this forum and that no malware was found.

When posting to any other forum, do not post a HijackThis log or the post will simply be moved back to this forum for infection analysis. That is what HijackThis is used for and that is what we specialize in here in this forum.

Also, when posting in any other forum for assistance, give as much detail as possible regarding any issues that are occurring. The more information they have, the better the techs can analyze the issue and make any recommendations for resolving it.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

Thank you OT

I will check out the other forum. I appreciate all your help.

All the Best,

Frank

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:59 AM

You are welcome frankw. I am sure they will be able to sort things out in the XP forum.

I will now close this topic. If you have any new malware related questions or issues in the future please start a new topic.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users