Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Or Plugnplay Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jbuk

jbuk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

A friend has a new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, Windows XP, and originally asked for my assistance as he could not install his new Epson printer. When the printer cable is plugged in to the USB socket the laptop does not identify it at all - it certainly IDs something has been attached but in a generic manner "USB Composite" ie not the name of the printer. Power is coming through but I have tried attaching other pieces of kit such as a flash memory stick, webcam, graphics tablet and others. Each time the attached is not recognised and the New Hardware wizard starts - prompting either the CD or other source for the drivers. It then does not find these drivers (presumably because it doesn't know what hardware item it is looking for). The Device manager confirms all 4 USB ports are working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers (dated 2005) (this was also not straightforward). At present he cannot use the USBs at all.
I have confirmed the printer on my own PC so it must be the Dell. I'm no hardware expert but wonder if it is the plug and play process that is causing the problem?
The machine is still under warranty but if there is a relatively quick and straightforward process to determine and correct the problem it would save a lot of time and effort.
Thank you for your help.

John B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

there are a few things that you can do: get the service tag number and look up drivers and updates for this laptop from dell, here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

change the service tag number to match your machine, and the category to chipset updates. also download the dignostics utility updates, and update your diagnostics partition. if the chipset update does not fix your issues, updates your diagnostics partition and run system diagnostics. to boot to the diagnostics partition, restart the machine, tap the {F12} key and select the diagnostics.

If there is more than one chipset driver available, use the device manager to identify which chipset that you have.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 jbuk

jbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:23 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

JB