Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Reformatting Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bristles

Bristles

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

I want to reformat my XP computer. I don't exactly know how to do this.

Also, my computer has 2 hard drives, and I only want to reformat the C: (system) drive but keep the files on my D: (storage) drive.

Is this possible?

How would I do it?

Any tips?

Thanks ahead of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

The 100% safest way to make sure you format the right drive is to unplug the other one. Remember, when you format the drive, you lose everything on it. Do you have an XP disc? Make sure you have your XP CD key before formatting ,set your BIOS to boot to the CD Rom drive, insert the XP cd, save settings in the BIOS and exit. Then follow the instructions. Now if you have a computer that didn't come with a Windows disc you'll either have a recovery cd or a partition on your C drive. Post back with your situation
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 May 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

I've got an XP disc. Where would the CD key for it be?

Also: how do I boot to CDrom drive?

It makes sense that I would unplug the drive that I don't want reformatted, but how do I know which is which?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

Your C drive will be the one at the end of the cable, it's called the "master". The key is usually on the jewel case. You can find your CD key using Magical jelly bean Be sure to write it down for further use. I usually write mine on the inside of the case. I don't know what computer you have. Getting into the BIOS is different for some machines. On a lot of them, reboot the machine. When the screen first comes on, tap the "delete" key
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

So I booted using the disc and let the disc run its course. It never asked me for the CD key, and there's definitely a problem. It didn't actually reformat, it just installed a new copy of windows. I played around doing whatever I thought I could, but it didn't work.
So, here I am, I have 3 copies of XP professional installed and a non-formatted drive.

What do I do?

How do I actually reformat?

Thanks.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

Hey bristles, you certainly got in a bit of a knot but easy go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348 you can ignore the partion setup if you want. Once you start formatting ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST! Then when you have finished all of your drivers will need to be reinstalled e.g. video,audio ect
MCP
MSDST

#7 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

I managed to reformat successfully, I think.

But now I'm having some strange problems.
1. My video looks funny. The screen scans any changes rather slowly. I installed drivers, but it is really slow.
2. My PC is registering some "USB Mass Storage Device" and it is always in the Safely Remove Hardware thing. I think it is my 7-in-1 card reader. It never used to appear there, and I'd like it to not appear now.

I should tell you that I have a drivers disc that I used to install all the drivers.

Did I reformat incorrectly? I'd just like my computer to have a fresh start.

Help?

Edit: I'm going to reformat again, but I realized that my computer is not letting me boot from a CD. Any ideas?

Edited by Bristles, 27 May 2007 - 07:36 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yes that's your card reader. I would go to the video card maker's site and download the most current driver Be sure to reinstall all service packs and Windows updates
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Bristles

Bristles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:53 AM

Is there a way to get my card reader to stop showing up all the time in the "safely remove hardware" thing?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Mine does also. Never bothered to look. I'll try to find out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users