Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Restore System

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

Quick background: PC is VERY slow to load desktop (talkin' like 10 mins) and won't connect to internet wirelessly (finds the access point but can't find the internet). Once the desktop does loads the PC runs great, other than the internet connection. I did all the normal stuff, virus scan, spyware, registry cleanup and finally decided to do a system restore. But it won't complete the operation no matter what date I pick. Just says something like "The system restore point cannot be loaded from this date" or whatever. What gives? Super virus?

Coincidently, the computer only started acting this way after a thwarted burglary on my residence. The computer was one of the items the thief did manage to get into the back of his truck before the cops showed up. I thought maybe something internally got jarred loose (even though the case shows no scratches or dings) so I opened the case and completely checked EVERY connection and gave it a super cleaning. Put it all back together and same thing...

Any ideas on why it won't do a system restore or why it's suddenly acting strange?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Was the computer on and running when it was stolen? Example- they came into the room and ripped the cables from the wall?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 May 2007 - 05:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Don't know, I was out of town on business. But it's possible, it's my sons PC. I thought of that too, maybe a voltage spike wacked out the HD. But, everything runs fine once it finally loads. Have tried, since last post, removing almost all startup programs (virus program, spyware program, etc) but it still does it. Got me confused...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

How about when you boot to safemode?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Since the restore points aren't salvageable, I'd suggest a repair install of Windows. It'll leave your programs and data intact (but you'll have to sit through a bunch of Windows Updates! :thumbsup:

Here's a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

It does boot to safemode at about the "normal" speed...

One other odd thing, don't know if it's related to the problem, is that the PC tries to access the 3.5 floppy when you click on your name at the windows log in. I changed the boot sequence to disable the 3.5 floppy, but it still tries to access it when you log in. I was thinking of removing the floppy drive all together and trying it, no one uses a floppy drive anymore LOL.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

There are several entries for the floppy in the BIOS. The BIOS will attempt to locate the floppy even if it's not a boot device. On my system I had to disable 3 separate entries in order to stop the "floppy seek".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

I had also considered a repair install of Windows but since my wireless adapter won't connect to the internet (finds access point but no internet, even after an uninstall and reinstall of the program/adapter), I'm thinking (or hoping) the two problems are related. I can always move the affected computer into the room with the router and connect to it with a ethernet cable, if a repair install is needed. I did notice in Device Manager that the 10/100 port was disabled, but I figured that was due to the wireless adapter install...

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

The wired connection may be unrelated to the wireless - or it may be related. It's hard to say when I can't see your network.

I'd try enabling the wired connection and then connecting it to the router to see if you can access the web. Chances are that a repair install will restore the connectivity - but it's by no means certain (there's several other things that could do this that won't be fixed by a repair install). Regardless, you'll need some sort of connection to the internet to visit Windows Update after the repair installation so achieving connectivity should be high on the priority list.

Have you tried resetting the network connection completely? Turn off everything, cable modem, router, PC's. Then turn on the cable modem and wait 3 minutes. Then turn on the router and wait 3 minutes. Then turn on the PC's and see if you can connect.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

For the harddrive, I know this has happened to me before. I wasn't necessarily robbed, but my computer had been running the harddrive for a long time non-stop and burnt it out. *In 1950's private-eye voice* It was a warm humid night and I had just gotten home from a long day at work. The misses was in the kitchen, the kids in their rooms. I sat down at the computer with my spicy chicken, all irrelevant to the problem. It had been running a few virus and anti-malware scans at once (bad timing, I guess) and the harddrive had the jitters from doing so much at once. So I stopped the scans and restarted the computer. It took about 10 minutes, when it usually took 2. I did a fresh install of XP and still no luck. Some of the heads on my harddrive had burnt out and it was running on half speed. I called up Hitachi and put in an RMA for repair and a few weeks later I had a fully working computer again and I haven't had problems since.

...Long story short (too late, right?), your harddrive probably shorted and isn't running to it's full potential because it can't. I would suggest finding out the warranty information for your harddrive. If its a retail PC (IE; Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) you'll need to call them up to get it taken care of. And if it's out of warranty, a new harddrive is in order. But before all that, check out the other stuff.

Hope this helps,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 27 May 2007 - 09:54 AM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

You can download a bootable diagnostic utility from the website of your hard drive's manufacturer to see if it's the drive failing. Yoda's right, those are the symptoms of a failing hard drive also (I tend to get wrapped up in some issues and ignore the overall picture at times! :thumbsup:

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

Oh and of course, before doing ANYTHING, back up your data :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#13 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

I'm going tp replace the hard drive and see what happens. Worst case scenario...I have a new bigger, faster, less cluttered hard drive :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it!!! I'll do a follow up when complete...

#14 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

Just installed new hard drive and everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks again...

Now I just have to sit thru the endless downloads and updates :thumbsup:

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Glad we could help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users