Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Done For?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gorfy

Gorfy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hey everyone, I am sad to making my first post here under these circumstances. The problem: my desktop will not power on.

It happened randomly, shut it down when I went to sleep, wouldn't turn on in the morning. (now to be fair, I did a "hard" shutdown by holding the power button down).

Here is what I have ruled out so far. The problem cannot be:

The motherboard
The power supply

As for hard drives, you dont need them to turn on a computer, and I wouldn't think one would need a graphics card either, but my graphics card is 4 days old anyways, and it was workin perfect before this happened.

The reason I say it can't be the power supply or motherboard is because when I flip the switch on the PSU, the fan lights all over the case flash once like normal, and the network activity light beside my ethernet port (on the motherboard) turns on and flashes with network activity. This means that obviously power is getting through the supply to the mainboard and through the wires to other parts of the computer.

So, do you need RAM to turn on a computer? I have 0.00% clue but I would guess no, since the BIOS is on the motherboard? And do you need a processor? I would guess yes to that one...

Any thoughts? It is a custom built thing with no warranty of course. So if I can't solve this I'm just gonna make a new one and keep my old hard drives and brand new gfx card.

thx in advance for your thoughts :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wogboykon

wogboykon

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

Wait, are you saying you don't have Processor in your ocmputer?

#3 Gorfy

Gorfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

No of course it's in there. Do you think that it died?

Power to the motherboard, power to the fans. It has to be the processor or the memory... right?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Do you hear any post beeps? Is there any video signal at all?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Gorfy

Gorfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

lol. no there's no beeps. no there's no video.

Imagine taking a staples "that was easy" button and removing the batteries. now press it.

as for the power supply switch, when it is turned from O to I (off to on) my custom case lights flash once, and the motherboard network activity light turns on and blinks with corresponding network activity (all desktops I've seen have this, the light by the ethernet port).

Processor eh?

(I'm adding things to my cart on tigerdirect as we speak)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Well, if it were me, I'd use a multimeter and check all the voltages on the plug to the motherboard. I don't know if that's an option for you. I'd also remove everything from the computer and run it on the workbench to make sure it isn't grounding out on the case somehow
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 May 2007 - 08:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

The PSU can "partially" die, leaving only part of it providing power - so it still may be the PSU (but the likelihood decreases because it is putting out something).

As for the mobo, there's lot's of parts and traces all over the motherboard - the failure of one of them won't necessarily prevent the other parts of the mobo from working.

Does the hard drive spin up?

Most often (IME) these problems are associate with the RAM or the video (with the power supply and the mobo following close behind - I've seen very few failures of the processor). The issue here is that some of these things may not be needed to "boot" into the BIOS but damage to them can cause the computer not to boot into the BIOS. To add to the confusion, I've seen mobos that will boot without RAM and others that won't.

I'd suggest stripping the system down as far as you can - then try to boot and listen for beeps. Add a piece at a time while testing to see if you can determine what's causing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

How bout trying your motherboard and PSU on another system? Yeah, that would involve dismantling the whole computer, but if it happens to me, I'd do that. I have way, way too much time in my hand :D
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#9 Gorfy

Gorfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

wow i'm a GENIUS!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

and the new rig is.....

* EVGA nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
* EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3