Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

I was constantly getting after a reboot that "Your system has recovered from a serious error"...So I figured it was time to reformat my main 250GB hard drive. In the process of trying to install windows I would get errors there too...So I did a quick scan of the hard drive which showed no errors. Then I did a full scan using Data LIfe Guard. Errors showed up and we got an RMA to send the drive off. I figured this was the cause of my problems.

I ordered a new external hard drive to transfer all my data to. Then I took the other 250GB hard drive that my data was on, reformated writing zeros to the drive and reinstalled windows on this drive. Now I am getting Active Desktop Errors. Ok so I turned off the active desktop. Now my computer locks up and reboots on its own. This afternoon it rebooted 3 times, one right after the other, and I didn't do a thing to it.

On the new install I had to put IE 7 . I was wondering if that might be causing some of the problem. Or posibly the motherboard? This motherboard is only 11 months old. The 250GB hard drive that I am using is dated 2005. Could this drive also be going bad?

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

Writing down what the error says, exactly will make it easier to troubleshoot. Go to the control Panel>Administrative>Event Viewer and see what errors show up there
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 May 2007 - 05:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

Here is what is listed in the Event viewer:

Error DCOM This one is listed 14 times and is the most recent.

Warning W32Time This one is listed 2 times.

Error System Error Category (102) This one is listed 1 time

Error nv This one is listed 1 time

CarinSharon

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

I might be way off base here. If I am, I hope someone else chimes in. I would go to the malware section of the forums and do some reading there. Read up on how to post a HijackThis log If you were infected and you transfered files, the infection is still there and now on your new drive
Microsoft 102 errors
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

A "Your system has recovered from a serious error" is usually indicative of a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) crash. These are events where the computer is shut down to prevent damage to the hardware. IME I find that most of them are caused by corrupt or poorly written drivers, with a significant minority being attributed to malware. They will also sometimes indicate a hardware failure - but this is much less common than the other 2 things (drivers or malware).

Please go back into Event Viewer and double click on these errors:

Error System Error Category (102) This one is listed 1 time

Error nv This one is listed 1 time

Copy the text to here. This link will give you some idea of what we're looking for: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

The last several times that my computer rebooted on its own there was no error message. Its rebooted on its own 14 times today.....And right in the middle of me doing some work and I'm not able to save befor it reboots. Its like my computer has a mind of its own and reboots. I have updated drivers for my graphic card and printer.

There were no errors listed under Application, Security or Internet Explorer. The only Errors and warnings were under System.

Here is a list from event viewer:

SYSTEM ERROR IN LOG:

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 89992528, parameter2 89ab93f8, parameter3 89be44a0,
parameter4 00000001.

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 89ca0528, parameter2 89a498b8, parameter3 89c0b600,
parameter4 00000001.

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 8909c850, parameter2 89ab3c60, parameter3 89bf4778,
parameter4 00000001.

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 89009b88, parameter2 89a7dd00, parameter3 89b2ee50,
parameter4 00000001.

NV ERROR IN LOG:
The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite
loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device
vendor for any driver updates.

WARNINGS IN LOG:

Printer Driver Adobe PDF Converter for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated.
Files:- PSCRIPT5.DLL, Ps5ui.dll, ADPDF7.PPD, Pscript.hlp, AD2KREGP.DLL, AD2KUIGP.DLL,
AD2KGELP.INI, PSCRIPT.NTF.

Printer Driver Adobe PDF Converter for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated.
Files:- PSCRIPT5.DLL, Ps5ui.dll, ADPDF7.PPD, Pscript.hlp, AD2KREGP.DLL, AD2KUIGP.DLL,

Thanxs,
CarinSharon

Edited by carinsharon, 27 May 2007 - 03:20 PM.

#7 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

HijackThis Forum sent me back here. They said my computer was clean of Virus and Malware. Which I was pretty sure that wasn't my problem because I keep everything updated, but then one never knows what little creature is going to make its way into your computer before there is a fix for it.

Anyways they instructed me on where to uncheck the automatic reboot so that I would get the blue screen with error message and be able to tell more what the problem is. My computer has restarted on its own about 15 times today with no error messages showing in the event log. I will post again as soon as there is another reboot with a message...

CarinSharon

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

Try rolling back your video card drivers Start, My Computer, R CLick, Properties, Hardware, Device manager, expand display adapters, r click on video card, properties, click driver tab, click roll back driver button, click ok. I have run across problems with the M$ updates download for Nvidia graphics.

NV ERROR IN LOG:
The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite
loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device
vendor for any driver updates.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Tried rolling back the video card driver. Computer is still rebooting. No error messages showing up either after turning off the auto reboot...This is getting very frustrating..I also checked the system log and it isn't showing any errors either.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Try restarting in safe mode with networking. if the computer continues to restart, try this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

also, read the KB article and see if you have any of these files Msupd5.exe, Reloadmedude.exe, or files with random names (gbqxmhia.sys) is an example. the best way to fix is to use method 3.

you must use safe mode to accomplish this.

#11 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

The computer just got a real good cleaning inside and out when I reformatted....

Where is this KB Article?

CarinSharon

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

Sorry here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278

#13 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Read the article and did some checking. None of the files listed in the article could be found. I also checked to make sure all my hardware had updated drivers. There was one that needed updated. Its an IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller...Miscrosoft update should have caught that one but it didn't. Maybe that was the problem??? I hope...

Now to sit back, wait and see if the computer reboots again..I hope that might have been the problem..Will let you know.

CarinSharon

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Are you letting Microsoft update the video driver or the mfg's site?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

I got the video driver from the Nvidia site...I'm keeping my fingers crossed but so far the system hasn't rebooted on its own....Updating that one driver for the USB-Firewire must have done the trick..Hopefully...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users