Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will This Ram Be Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wogboykon

wogboykon

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, I'm buying a new computer, and I currently have have 2x DDR-SDRAM 1024MB each, for a total of 2 gigs of ram. But my new ocmputer is going to have 2 x 1Gb DDR2/667MHz Non-ECC Non-Registered Memory Module 1024MB each, for a total of 2 gigs of ram. Do you think I would be able to put both of these int he same motherboard for a total of 4Gigs of ram?

My new motherboard will be Asus P5LD2 Deluxe Wi-Fi P4 775 DDRII, SATAII

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Based on what you said, you want to use the old DDR ram in the new motherboard that uses DDR2. The slots and keying are different for DDR and DDR2. Not possible.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

I doubt you can have ddr2 + ddr running together perfectly, but I'm not sure about that.

Posted Image

#4 wogboykon

wogboykon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

okay, thanks.

#5 wogboykon

wogboykon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

So if I buy the two Gb DDR2/667MHz Non-ECC Ram sticks, then I buy 2 1024MB PC-5400 DDR2 667MHz Ram sticks, you think those 4 will be compatible and be able to run at 4 gigs?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

The max ram supported by this mainboard is 4 g at 667Mhz, so four one gig pieces will work. what OS you will be using determines if all can be used a 32 bit os will only use about 3.5 gig of the four.

#7 wogboykon

wogboykon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

so Just Windows XP Prof will only use 3.5 gigs?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

32 bit version will use up to 4 gig, 64 bit version can use up to 128 Gig of ram.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:23 AM

The 32 bit versions of XP and Vista will only recognize 4gB of addressable memory space - in short, this means that they won't show the full 4 gB on your system (I did it and ended up with 3.25 gB showing - both in XP and in Vista).

I don't know if there's a performance penalty for this (didn't see anything significant on my system) tho' - so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

The 32 bit versions of XP and Vista will only recognize 4gB of addressable memory space - in short, this means that they won't show the full 4 gB on your system (I did it and ended up with 3.25 gB showing - both in XP and in Vista).

I don't know if there's a performance penalty for this (didn't see anything significant on my system) tho' - so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) :thumbsup:

that's physical ram plus swap file

no point in going over 2 gigs in an average system with windows xp

getting the faster ram would make more sense, if you upgrade to vista and add another 2 gigs and your mobo supports
4 sticks of faster ram?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users