Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counter Strike Source

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

I've been getting into PC FPS lately, and would like to try cs:s. I've seen a few videos of the game, but I would like to actually try it out before I buy it. Is there any demo's I can download for it?

Also, what is the relationship between Half life and counter strike? I've played the Half Life 2 demo and is it similar to counter strike?

I'd really appreciate if you guys could give me some info about these games. Thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

Okay, lets see.

No, there is no actual demo of the game. However, Valve has been starting to offer 'guest passes' for some games for people who own the games to give to people who want to try that specific game out, but I don't know if they have added guest passes to Counter-Strike: Source yet (I'm pretty sure they've done Day of Defeat: Source though). Have you played the older versions that run on the Half-Life engine, 1.6 and Condition Zero? Counter-Strike: Source (CS:S now on) has taken some features from Condition Zero (CZ now on), such as increased grenade damage and grenades wont hurt you if you're behind an object.

The relationship between Half-Life(2) and Counter-Strike(Source) is that they are run on the same graphics engine and will feel kind of similar when played because of which. Still, Half-Life(2) is a single player game while Counter-Strike(Source) is a multi-player only game (with the exception for little single-player missions in CZ).

There are some problems with CS:S that people complain about though. Some people claim it is too easy and because of larger hitboxes, headshots can be popped off pretty quick. Still, if it's easier to get kills, shouldn't that make it harder because it's more difficult to survive? Whatever, mainly CS:S is CZ with Source engine graphics and other tweaks to weapons and such.

Hope this helps,

Wizdabest

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the reply! The only game I've played besides the half life 2 demo is the original half life from 1998. I figure the game play is probably quite different after that long. I might just take my chances with getting CS:S. It looks fun and I've seen it down to the 20-30$ price range.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:55 AM

Great choice. CS:S is my fav game of all time. well besides star craft but yeah..lol
I would for sure buy CS:S its well worth it. and its rather cheap aswell.
lol
but have fun

regards,
Josh

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:13 AM

It hasn't changed that much from the older versions to CS:S. Counter-Strike is still Counter-Strike either way. What has changed with CS:S is mainly the feel of it compared to playing Counter-Strike and Half-Life on the Half-Life engine. Pretty much the changes between graphics engines and how the game was migrated to the Source engine.

Still, while I'm stuck being hooked on CZ, CS:S is still fun and if you choose to get it, enjoy.

Edited by Wizdabest, 27 May 2007 - 02:24 AM.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

So are counter strikes graphics/physics the same as half life 2? While playing the demo for hl2, I was very impressed with them.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

Yes and no. All of the objects in CS:S are mainly for eye candy. You can't interact with anything apart from popping an object a couple of times with your weapon. In fact, there is a setting that causes objects that are big enough to kick around to actually push you away from them. This can cause some trouble in a map such as cs_Office where if large objects block a doorway, you're screwed unless you can shoot the object out of the way.

While the physics system is the same as Half-Life 2 and objects will react with the environment as they ought to, it's not as immersive as Half-Life 2's physics that, with the gravity gun, take the game to a whole new level.

#8 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

As for the relation ship between it all:
Counter strike was origionally a Modification to Half-Life 1, which was then turned into a standalone steam game by valve. CS:S is pretty much the same old Terrorists ver. Counterterrorists from CS with more updates, more players, more pretty graphics. the game is pretty fun and has several modes, and is a must have for any true FPS fan/player. I would recamend buying it, as for guest passes I think all guest passes have expired.

Edited by ussr1943, 27 May 2007 - 10:54 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

While the physics system is the same as Half-Life 2 and objects will react with the environment as they ought to, it's not as immersive as Half-Life 2's physics that, with the gravity gun, take the game to a whole new level.

No, but physics do add an interesting level of depth to the game. You often see new, weird results...like the bomb sending objects flying outward and crashing into players who might have otherwise survived.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users