Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will My Amd Athlon 64 3000+ (~2.0 Ghz) Be Enough To Run A Geforce 8800 Gts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

Or will it bottleneck it?

And is my 400W powersupply sufficient??

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

If your motherboard supports it. You technically can Run the card but your system won't run the card to its full extent. Your best bet would be to save some money and go with a 7 series card.. If your planning on upgrading the rest of the system in the future to keep up with the 8800 you will need at least the fastest AMD available and recommended a Intel core 2 duo extreme edition. This is one of the fastest Graphics processors available from Nvidia and they need the fastest processors to run at full capacity. It is the cream of the crop IMO.

Edit: Whats the rest of the system.. MB, RAM, ETC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 May 2007 - 02:16 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Edit: Whats the rest of the system.. MB, RAM, ETC

I have 1.024Gb RAM (I could double this if I wanted), I'm planning on buying a new motherboard for the card (most likely, an AMD Socket 754 Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA) because my current board doesn't have PCI-E. I don't really want to have to drop to a 7 series because I want DX10 graphics for Oblivion and for rFactor, and the 7 series is now basically obsolete anyway. I don't really want to fork out for a new CPU either, because the card and board will knock me back 250.

So. Wha'dya reckon now?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

If you need DX10 then that card is a great choice. Your system should run great with the new card and motherboard. :thumbsup: Your powersupply, Does it have a connector for PCI-Express? and what power ratings does it have? I know 400 max but what about the individual rails? As for mentioning the upgrading of the processor those were mere suggestions to run the card at max. Your current processor should do fine.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

If you need DX10 then that card is a great choice. Your system should run great with the new card and motherboard. :flowers: Your powersupply, Does it have a connector for PCI-Express? and what power ratings does it have? I know 400 max but what about the individual rails? As for mentioning the upgrading of the processor those were mere suggestions to run the card at max. Your current processor should do fine.

What do you mean about the individual rails? What are they?

Thanks, by the way :thumbsup:

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

The cards that I looked at had this recommendation: Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A), you will probably need a better power supply. I would recommend at least 550 watts, just to be on the safe side.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

Rails = connectors Each componenet connector has its own Wattage rating. If you look at the sticker on the Powersupply it will read something like this (taken from a Rosewill 350 watt) DC Voltage +3.3v Output 20A, DC voltage +5V output 12A, DC Voltage 12v output 10A<<< You need that to be 26A. I would go with Oldf@rt's suggestion.l
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users