Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Quicktime

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crazy4ker

crazy4ker

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

I can't open up any movies in quicktime, So tried to reinstall. This didn't work, so tried to uninstall, no luck too. Any suggustions bar just deleting the files?

I use Windows XP and have Quicktime 7.1.3.170

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

The link below gives a lot of info on problems of uninstalling Quicktime.
http://homepage.mac.com/corrp/trouble/quicktime.html#Install

The link below is to info and download link for Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Whether Quicktime is one of the programs in the list it will remove, I don't know. It seems to appear in some computers and some not.
http://homepage.mac.com/corrp/trouble/quicktime.html#Install

From reading around on the web it seems most problems were caused by attempting to uninstall while components of Quicktime were still running. There is also info for manual uninstalling in the first link I provided.

Just had another thought, If Quicktime is still listed in the Add/Remove program, see if there is an option there to repair rather than uninstall.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

I can't open up any movies in quicktime

what basically is the type of movie you're trying to access?

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 crazy4ker

crazy4ker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

All "normall" quicktime movies, including .mov files

#5 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

i had the same problem and got help from fozzie heres what he said
1. Go to C:\Program Files, then delete the entire QuickTime folder.

2. Click Start - Find/Search - All Files And Folders, select the hard drive ( C: ) to look in, type in QuickTime, then click Find/Search. when the list of files appear, right-click on and delete all the ones that you confirm are associated with QuickTime.

3. Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK. Click the + in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software

In the Software sub-menu, right-click directly on the Apple Computer entry, then click Delete - Yes.

(Note: If you click the + in the "Apple Computer" entry, you'll see "QuickTime" listed there)

or if you are not comfortable poking around the registry :

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

and it worked hope it helps
mz30
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:32 AM

Personally I dumped Quicktime and went with Media Player Classic instead.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 wayon360

wayon360

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:38 AM

I've been dealing with the "can't delete quicktime" syndrome, which meant I couldn't update to the new one, which meant I couldn't update to the new itunes, which meant I couldn't use my new ipod. Search for "microsoft utility cleanup" download it from the first one in the search, it will save as "windows insaller cleanup". Double click on it, select quicktime and hit o.k., it will now allow you to delete the program from add and remove program section. At least this is the way it went for me on my dell with windows xp. This would have saved me hours of sitting on the phone waiting for some out sourced employee in India to try to figure out the English I was speaking. (Had I just known this yesterday!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users