Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem When Trying To Downgrade To Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ortid

Ortid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

I've been using Vista for several months now, but am wishing to install XP on a separate partition of my hard drive.

I've been following this guide which explains how to partition the drive under Vista and then install XP. I've successfully managed to partition my drive and allocate 5GB (which I shall probably increase at a later time), but I encounter a problem when I start the installation process of XP.

The XP recovery disk that I have was supplied by the manufacturer when I bought this computer and it's for the Home edition.

Anyway, when I get to the blue setup screen and it asks to to install XP on an existing partition, none of my partitions are listed on the menu. Instead, I get something like this in the menu:

Unknown Disk
	  (There is no disk in this drive.)
Unknown Disk
Unknown Disk
Unknown Disk

By pressing 'C' to create a new partition does nothing, and if I press enter to proceed, I get the BSOD and am forced to reboot.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or have any suggestions?

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

What BSOD error message do you get, and what (if any) filename is associated with it?

Are your hard drives IDE or SATA?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ortid

Ortid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)

Processor a

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5RD1-VM Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1002 04/11/2006

Drives

199.20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
78.90 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-RW CRX320EE ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
VL3681H JLS331R SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
VL3681H JLS331R SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Maxtor 6 V200E0 SCSI Disk Device (203.92 GB) -- drive 0

Memory Modules c,d

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 193.71 GB 73.46 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 0) 5.50 GB 5.44 GB free

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:07 AM

I suspect it's because you didn't load the drivers for your hard drive. The info that you've provided shows a SCSI drive as drive 0 - and that's most likely what your system is trying to boot from (because of the Local Drive volumes stats at the bottom of your post).

The information from the BSOD will help to determine this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Ortid

Ortid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF77C0CAD, 0xF72A37E4, 0x00000000)

*** Setupdd.sys - Address F77COCAD base at F7794000, Date stamp 41107C8F

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the error message - that makes it a lot easier! :huh:

This link points to damaged or incompatible hardware from the error message: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181&sd=RMVP

This could be caused by the SCSI/RAID/SATA drivers not being loaded also (link for that: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e )

The solution would be to load the drivers for your drive controller (SCSI/RAID/SATA) at the point where XP prompts you to insert the disk (it's displayed at the bottom of the screen during setup) and it'll ask you to press F6 to install the drivers.

Edited by usasma, 27 May 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#7 Ortid

Ortid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

Slight problem, although my specs list a floppy drive, I don't actually have one! Is there any way of loading the drivers via a USB stick or CD? If not then I'll probably try and get my hands on a floppy drive, I expect my dad probably has a few lying around somewhere.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

Unfortunately, no there isn't a way. You'll either have to install a floppy drive, or use a USB floppy drive for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users