Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained Program Shut-downs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ken J

Ken J

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hello--

I have a desktop computer running Windows XP, sp2. For several weeks now, I have had an ongoing problem with my computer functionality. Frequently, while attempting to open a program, instead a window pops up, declaring "______ has encountered a problem and needs to close." This has happened for any number of different programs, including (in no particular order) Automatic Update, Run a DLL as an App, IE and Firefox, HijackThis, WMI and Windows Logon UI.

I thought that I had done something to my registry (because I had opened it, to get rid of any last mentions of Norton), so I downloaded and used Registry Mechanic. (It found 500+ errors the first time I used it.) Now, the problem seems to occur only every OTHER time I start the computer. (Registry Mechanic is set to run at startup, and it, too, finds some errors--every other time the computer starts up.)

I started up in Safe Mode last night and ran Kaspersky Anti-virus; it found nothing. I also ran Ad-Aware, and it found nothing but the usual tracking cookies. The problem still existed this morning. When it did exist, I couldn't start a browser or Hijackthis (see above); after running Registry Mechanic and restarting, I was able to do both.

Any ideas? What does this behavior sound like?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

Sounds like there's either some corruption in the OS or that you're still infected.

I'd start with these free, online scans to double check your current protection:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

Edit: Those tools found some adware, but that seems to be it.

If it's a corrupted OS, what can I do? My computer is an eMachine, and the disks that came with it don't seem to have a "repair" option when I boot up with them.

Edited by Ken J, 26 May 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#4 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

In addition: I had posted a hijackthis log to the forum that looks at those, and they did not find any malware.

So, how can I repair my OS?

#5 rajeshontheweb

rajeshontheweb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

to repair your OS, u will need the windows xp installation disc that came with the PC . installing just the OS will do or follow instructions from support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

while using registry cleaning software like Registry Mechanic it is always advisable to back up the registry before you remove the keys. Very oft, rarely used but important keys to the windows or some software might get deleted which could cause frequent software crashes...

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Try this repair option from Gateway (they own eMachines and the restore functions seem to be identical): http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...Install06.shtml

Please post back if you run into difficulties, or just to give us feedback on how/if it works for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

I'm not sure if it is the same process. The Gateway instructions say to insert the Windows XP Professional CD, and I don't have that. I only have three eMachines Restore CDs. They didn't seem to have a "repair" option when I booted from them before.

How much of what is on my computer will be wiped out if I repair the OS in this way?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

If you repair the OS (step 14 in the Gateway instructions) your programs and data won't be affected. Gateways (and eMachines) restore disks include an OS disk as the first disk in the set. I'd suggest trying that one.

If we've got a Gateway at work (with the CD's) tomorrow, I'll give it a try there to see if it'll work for me.

In general, if you're trying these procedures you'll get some sort of notice that things will be erased/overwritten if you're not doing it correctly.

At step 6, insert the disk that says something like Operating System on it.
At step 12, just press Enter (to setup Windows) - this will not erase/overwrite anything
At step 14, select "R" to repair - any other choice will end up losing some stuff.

At worst case you'll have to exit by pressing F3. Here's a screenshot of the screen at step 12
Posted Image

And here's a screenshot of the screen at step 14:
Posted Image

Here's a link to the page that I got these pictures from: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

#9 Ken J

Ken J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well, I was right; the process for my eMachine was completely different. And by the time I realized that I WASN'T going to get the option to choose R for Repair, the process was in the middle of wiping out my hard drive and completely reinstalling everything. So here I am, starting all over with this computer from scratch.

I did do a backup of my files on this compute, but I'm sure I will have to reinstall a number of different programs, and reconnect the computer to my home network.
Edit: And reinstall my graphics card, my printer and other peripherals...

So thanks for nothing, guys. Next time I'll follow my instincts and not blindly follow your instructions.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Ken J, 27 May 2007 - 11:00 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

Well you have my apologies if it hosed your system - but you went into this knowing that it wasn't something that we'd done before and that a lot of this was speculation. But, if it makes you feel better to blame me, be my guest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users