Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After Download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:19 AM

Hi all,

In order to be able to use an on line service I downloaded W2k high encryption pack (128-bit) from M$, after this I found my Firefox google toolbar empty and all of my bookmarks gone, and when I try to add new bookmarks nothing happens after I click on ok. Another new thing is that when I open a new page it doesn't open to full size.

I have run all of my scans and found a couple of low level threats. After deleting them the problem is still the same.

I deleted Firefox and redownloaded it, but the problem persists.

This is beyond me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

I have a laptop that has some power issues. On occasion, it freezes and I have to hold the power button for 6 seconds to get it to shut off. If I have Firefox open when this happens, it has at least happened a dozen times that I have lost all of my bookmarks, and upon launching, it will not open in a full window and the search toolbar is empty.

To me, similar to my issue, it sounds like your Firefox profile is corrupt. I am not sure how this relates to the update. However, I would uninstall Firefox, see if you can salvage your bookmarks first, than delete your profile directory. Reboot. Download/install Firefox again, and see if this resolves your issue.

Here's a How-to guide on how to back up your BookMarks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/65275/savingrestoring-firefox-bookmarks-for-a-reinstall/
If you follow the guide, it will allow you to back up your bookmarks.-If they are still intact. Most of the time with my issue they were lost, so I started manually backing mine up on occasion.

Also in the guide, you will see where the Profile is located - C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \

I normally delete everything under - C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \

Also, I have never done this, but I found this when researching your issue. It may be an easier method that you could try first: (Create a new Profile) http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

I hope that helps.
JC

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Thank you for the response Joshuacat. I tried to create a new profile last night without any success, and to top this off I installed a new Logitech Marble mouse only to have the blue screen appear with the *** STOP: 0X0000000A URQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It was late last night and my attitude was drifting towards being PP, I deleted both FF and TB, went into safe mode > search files, and deleted every trace of Mozill, FF, and TB. I reinstall them both and they are now working properley. :thumbsup:

As for the mouse, I went into the BIOS to make sure that the USP mouse feature was still enabled, it was, so I used a SP/2 adapter and the problem went away...go figure. :huh: Buy the way, yes I did install the drivers for the mouse.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Happy to hear that you resolved the issue with Firefox. Interesting issue with the mouse. I have had issues with USB mice and keyboards. Most of the issues were fixed by switching USB ports and rebooting. If that doesn't work you may have to get a little more creative with your fix. You may also want to check the Logitech website for an updated driver. However, if it works with a PS/2 adaptor...and the issue fixed to your liking...then all is well.

Take care.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users