Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:33 AM

I recently installed a new hard drive in my computer (Pentium 4, 3 GHz, 512 Mb Ram) replacing the previous one (see my last thread!) and have installed the OEM Version of Windows XP (SP1) that came with the original computer. I have not been able to connect to the internet, have no sound, one of the DVD drives is not recognised and cannot reassign drive letters to the various components (the new hard drive is listed as Drive I?? with nothing listed as C). Looking at the Device Manager I have the following items listed as not having drivers installed: ethernet controller, Multimedia Audio controller, Multimedia controller, Network controller, SM Bus controller, Unknown device (?), USB Receiver, Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA compatible). They are all listed under Code 28 in the Device Manager. The Communications Port (COM 2) is also yellow with the device status saying that the device cannot find enough free resources it can use (Code 12).
I don't have any other disks that came with the original computer (other than a few software programs such as Nero that I have already installed).

Can anyone give me an idea of what is wrong and what I might be able to do to fix the problem?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:05 AM

First, we need to know what kind of computer that you have, Make, Model Serial or service tag number. does the computer have a card reader mounted in the front? as far as the dvd drive, disconnect the ide cable and re plug in the cable, see if the drive works. XP picks up the card reader and assigns drive letters to them if it is enabled.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

When you installed the new hard drive, did you remove the old hard drive? Did you change the jumper settings on any of the drives? Did you partition and format the new drive in Windows, or with another program outside of Windows?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

The computer is a Medion and I have no idea what the model serial or service tag number is. Their computers each have an individual serial number by which they are identified. They have their own help desk that I can call from Monday to Friday but I thought I would try here first as they have not been particularly knowledgeable in the past. The computer is about 4 years old. It has a card reader mounted at the front.

I removed the old hard drive and formatted the new one using the Windows disk. I did not partition it at the time of installation and did not change the jumper settings.

Edited by Niniane, 26 May 2007 - 06:51 PM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

The easiest way around this issue would be to disconnect the card reader or disable it in the bios (disable usb also), first. then disconnect the dvd drive with the error. once this is done, you would re install XP by booting off the cd. delete all partitions on the hard drive, then hit {F3} to quit, re boot, when the xp setup comes up you will need to re partition the hard drive and format to NTFS, once this is done, restart, finish re installing windows. after the next restart, hook up the dvd drive re enable usb and make sure that you have plugged in the card reader. also, the first driver to download would be for your net card, look here under customer care: http://www.medionusa.com/

once the net card is installed, install a free antivirus program, look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
download and install SP2, after that run windows update in the custom mode, and look at the area that covers hardware. select all the hardware items listed, and update. if there is anything left, go back to medionusa and download and install the remaining drivers. As always, please ask if I am not clear enough.

#6 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

Thanks oldf@rt.....since my last post I have rectified the issue with the drive letters. I contacted Medion Australia who no longer support this model but who have agreed to send out an application support disk with the drivers as soon as they have some blank disks to make one!! Something tells me I might be waiting a while.... I downloaded and installed drivers from the Advent T9 which is supposed to be the same model but only some of the drivers were suitable. Unfortunately I still cannot access the internet at all on this computer which makes life a little difficult. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

Search the web site customer support area by using the serial number, if you can give the model and serial here, it would be easier.

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

If you have no lusk finding drivers go to this link downlaod and post the Hardware results http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
MCP
MSDST

#9 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

The computer is a Medion MD8083 model. I have searched for my serial number and rang the Help Desk here in Australia as I mentioned earlier but no luck. I'm assuming it will be ok to download the utility on another computer, burn to CD and then use that on the problem computer as I cannot access the internet from that computer??

#10 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Just realised......I guess without internet access, that I will need to burn the Hardware results to CD too and then post them from another computer?

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

That would work, however I normally use a usb flash drive for that.

#12 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

I use a flash drive too.....I assumed it still wasn't working but it seems ok now.....here are the hardware results:

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) MEDIONPC MS-7048
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7048
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/12/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
316.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD RW DVR-107D [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 [CD-ROM drive]

Generic CF Card CF USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic MS Card MS USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic SD Card MMC/SD USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic SM/XD Card SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
ST3320620A [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9QF38AJ6, rev 3.AAE, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' has 256 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 320.06 GB 316.38 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Bridie 5/26/2007 4:40:58 PM (admin)
Cathy 6/1/2007 11:23:29 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
Keely never (admin)
Riley never (admin)
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller RADEON 9800 XT [Display adapter]
RADEON 9800 XT - Secondary [Display adapter]
HPC 17.7 [Monitor] (17.7"vis, July 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller (4x) C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
Creatix V.9X DSP Data Fax Modem

1394 Net Adapter
VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.1 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254
Physical Address: 00:0C:76:A8:40:F4

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.254
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device (3x)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

Hi Niniane, sorry for the delay but I think I have located your audio driver at this link http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/driver
B4 installing make a system restore point. The T9 is what I keep coming up with as well I found this link but it may be the same one you had no luck with
http://yse-uk.com/download/details.php?file=36
Ethernet adapter software link http://www.soft32.com/download_171822.html
MCP
MSDST

#14 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:58 AM

Hi Monty and oldf@rt,

Thanks so much for all your help. The disk arrived today and after installing all remaining drivers, things appear to be ok. I do have one small issue but am not sure if it is related. The wireless internet connection keeps dropping out. At times this happens every few minutes and at others it might be every few hours. I can't see any issues in the device manager or anywhere else. While I'm just really happy that most of the issues I've had are sorted, I've never had trouble with the wireless connection before and am wondering if you have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users