Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Issues...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:18 AM

Not really a major issue but heres the point
Im gonna upgrade my PC several days (most probably in June 1)
So if i don't get this fixed,im gonna have to pay the additional service charge for the repair
But while using my PC,i have 3 issues that bug me

-When shutting down,specifically when you see the text"Windows is shutting down" it stops right there
nothing happens,even if i wait several hours
I know usually its fast but im suspecting it was done because of a power black-out
(no power,electricity goes out)twice in my house

-Internet slows down,especially when i get here in Bleeping Computer
Is it only the fact that there are 600+ more or less users in this site at the same time which makes me surf slow? and get in here? anyone also experienced that?
even if i have DSL connection

-Text (Optional)
Lets say im typing a word,all of the sudden,the letters type in another location randomly
Im not a very fast in typing words just about the average of a user typing in hands
I checked my keyboard and fixed it the first time i newly bought this computer
Well its ok if i don't fixed this issue as it is only minor and can buy a new one in the compshop
But if this ever happens again,i have to post a topic regarding this issue

So pls.help soon :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:24 AM

Just a question back to you, if your going to up grade why not format a start fresh?
MCP
MSDST

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

I don't know how to format myself thus,it can lead to more isuses

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

I'd format and reinstall if it were me - I love the smell of a fresh OS in the morning! :thumbsup:

The shutdown issues can be dealt with fairly easily - here's a link: http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

Slowness at BC isn't an issue (although I do occasionally get timed out). I'd suspect problems with your Internet connection. When you experience the slowdown, open a command prompt (Start...Run...cmd.exe) and type in "tracert www.bleepingcomputer.com" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for significant lags in the different hops that it takes and let us know.

I see this text problem constantly with my laptop - it's because I type with my thumbs over the touchpad and they'll occasionally make contact and move the cursor on me. Is this a similar situation for you?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

No
All i have is an ordinary average keyboard :inlove:
Gets bashed whenever it fools around (kidding :flowers: )

currently,im backing up all my files and save them to a disk
so i don't need to worry going here or in the internet to download this/that

Hmmm.....
that was eyecatching :cool: a floppy drive left inserted on my cpu (which is happening now)before/during shutdown with an active anti-virus would make the shutdown process hang? sounds unusual.... :trumpet:

a clue will be that the floppy drive light comes on during shutdown. The solution is to disable this particular feature in the anti-virus program.

gonna try to take of me floppy or just do about that :thumbsup:

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

Well guess it didnt work
Im gonna have to stick with this method of shutting down my pc
(turn of the powerbox but is it safe?)only way for now
Gonna wait also till reformatt

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

In the short term you can continue to do this - but it'll cause problems with the OS. No telling how long it'll take to make the system inop - but since you're gonna reformat I'd do that before the system makes you reformat (by not booting).

It's sounding more and more like a format and reinstall will be the easiest fix for all these problems - but that doesn't mean it's gonna be real easy. A format and reinstall is a PITA that most folks only want to do once - after that they only do it when forced to (by the OS not working).

Prepare for it by reading as much as you can and asking questions - it'll make the process more bearable. Also, now is a good time to look into disk imaging. Saving a good image of the reinstall will save lot's of time if you have to reinstall again at a later date.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Found an alternatve to shutdown :thumbsup:
Task Manager>shutdown>shutdown
no interuptions

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

Soon,that method i mentioned above didn't work anymore :thumbsup:
So im looking for 1 last solution till i hold when my PC will finally be reformatted

Is it ok to use Shutdown tools?
Know of any tool?

Btw,the delay was 30hops
each with a no. then 3 askterisks spaced one after the other then when it goes to the 3rd askterisk a text appeared and says"Request Timed out" so it continued on till no.16,i realized this was all going to no.30 so i closed the cmd

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

Either in the New Task dialog in Task Manager, the Run dialog in the Start Menu, or in a Command Prompt window - try typing "shutdown -f" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter.

Also, try typing "shutdown /?" (without the quotes) to see what other options are available (here's a listing from my XP installation):
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>shutdown /?
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args				 Display this message (same as -?)
		-i					  Display GUI interface, must be the first option
		-l					  Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
		-s					  Shutdown the computer
		-r					  Shutdown and restart the computer
		-a					  Abort a system shutdown
		-m \\computername	   Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
		-t xx				   Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
		-c "comment"			Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
		-f					  Forces running applications to close without warning
		-d [u][p]:xx:yy		 The reason code for the shutdown
								u is the user code
								p is a planned shutdown code
								xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
								yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

Edited by usasma, 28 May 2007 - 06:10 AM.

#11 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

I got a Shutdown tool that works but ill try this one for an alternative
btw,thanks for the help usasma :thumbsup:

#12 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

Sorry if my reply is late to this topic but there is an update:
Soon after,my shutdown tool which was "Shutter Down XP" Dindn't work

Im really running out of choices to shutdown,reboot,stand by (and all of the rest of the commands)till i make it to the saving line which is Friday That i can finally do the fresh reformatt and upgrade my PC

Why is this happening???
Each and every choice goes ruled out...
1st The start>shutdown choice
2nd crtl+alt+del then click on shutdown choice
3rd My Shutterdown XP tool choice

4th Usasma's method choice
5th Dead end :flowers: (If you have any more ways to shutdown me computer,i'll gladly appreciate it :thumbsup: )

Is there any idea on what is happening on my PC?
Done by a virus? Or plainly system error?
Or any specific direct solution to this problem?
Now that the symptom is:XP won't shutdown in any way i do
hmmm.....i think these choices all have something similar on why they got ruled out:
If i use them 1-4 times,they get ruled out.....even a shutdown tool won't function any longer.... :trumpet:
Is there any clue to this problem???Im suspecting that there is something wrong with the command to shutdown XP
as in if you were to create an icon that would shutdown XP similat to start>turn of computer>shutdown icon but it won't work because theres something wrong with some command script to make XP Shutdown....

Edited by Commander Gman, 30 May 2007 - 05:47 AM.

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:41 AM

btw,in the CODE you have quoted,it looks similar to mines
so to shutdown xp either open that and type "-s" or simply type "shutdown -f" if i am correct
(without quotes)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users