Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hi all.

I have an older pc and had to replace the video card. Because of the age of the pc I went with a Nvidia GeForce FX5500 (that's the most current card my motherboard can handle). Everything is running fine except for World of Warcraft. I am getting low frame rates and occasionally the graphics will break up. After getting some help from tech service they suggested that my video card may be overheating.

Here's my question: Is there some way I can easily check the temperature of the card and what ball park temperature range would be considered ok? I'd like to be able to confirm what Blizzard is suggesting before I call the card vendor to complain. There are no temp sensors on the card or anywhere in the pc (remember - old pc. lol). Also, the card has a heat sink instead of a fan. Could I possibly use one of those infrared thermometers and if so what do I point it at on the card?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

You should point the infrared beam at the heatsink.

While you have the case open, turn the computer off (Not calling you dumb, but I've had experiences with people who screw with stuff without turning it off) and use an air compressor that shoots out nice clean air and blow the dust out of there. Also move any wires that may be blocking off the card's air supply.

#3 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the response. I am always careful when I open the case. I'm no computer wiz, but I've done enough "under the hood" that I know how careful you need to be.

Something else occured to me after my first post. If I removed the side panel to the tower and just used a small room type fan blowing toward the card, might that provide enough cooling to the card to give me an indication whether it is a problem with the card? Anyone tried this with any success?

Thanks again.

#4 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hi all.

I have an older pc and had to replace the video card. Because of the age of the pc I went with a Nvidia GeForce FX5500 (that's the most current card my motherboard can handle). Everything is running fine except for World of Warcraft. I am getting low frame rates and occasionally the graphics will break up. After getting some help from tech service they suggested that my video card may be overheating.

Here's my question: Is there some way I can easily check the temperature of the card and what ball park temperature range would be considered ok? I'd like to be able to confirm what Blizzard is suggesting before I call the card vendor to complain. There are no temp sensors on the card or anywhere in the pc (remember - old pc. lol). Also, the card has a heat sink instead of a fan. Could I possibly use one of those infrared thermometers and if so what do I point it at on the card?

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I'm not sure a GeForce FX5500 is enough to play WOW with all the gfx up, it might not be overheating at all..

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

What kind of computer are you using, Your Video card meets the requirements but if your computer is not up to par your Graphics card will have to pick up the slack and may cause it to overheat.
What kind of FX5500 is it AGP or PCI, 256 or 128 and lastly who is the manufacture. Also do you have the latest Nvidia drivers. As for the card it should be good enough for the game, it exceeds the minimum requirements and Blizzard tech support would have noticed and inferior card.

PC System Requirements
  • OS: Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  • Processor: Intel Pentium3 800MHz or AMD Athlon 800MHz
  • Memory:
    • Minimum: 512 MB RAM
    • Recommended: 1GB RAM
  • Video:
    • Minimum: 32MB 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as an NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or above
    • Recommended: 64MB VRAM 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability, such as an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 class card or above
  • Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card
Reference :http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/faq.html#sys

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't believe it's an overheating problem. I logged onto the game and put a thermometer on the video card heat sink. The temp only went up to about 61 celsius - it was about 55 celsius when I started from my desktop.

My pc is:

Compaq Presario (about 6-7 years old)
OS - Windows XP Home Edition (with sp2 and all updates)
Processor - AMD Athlon XP, 1.4g
Memory - 1024mb
Video card - DiabloTek GeForce FX5500, 256mb ram, AGP8X
Video driver - Nvidia v93.71 (these are the most current for the FX series, but I have also tried 4 different earlier versions)

Please also note that prior to the latest World of Warcraft patch I was using a Fusion FX5500 without a problem until the card died on me. Unfortunately it chose to die just before the patch so when I replaced the card I didn't have a chance to try it pre-patch.
I also have an identical system that my son uses and that works just fine. The video card in that one is an Nvidia FX5200.

I'm beginning to think that this may be a Blizzard issue and not a hardware issue - any thoughts?

Thanks.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

You could check the card in your sons system to see if it acts up there. And also have you tried any other games with the card? You could try benchmarking the card http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark05/ this is a free version of 3dmark wich is industry standard in Graphics benchmarking. This is a limited version and I'm not sure whats limited on it. That would tell you if its definatly the card and not the game.

Edit: I could not test that program I don't have a DX9 card :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 May 2007 - 03:29 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

I downloaded and ran 3DMark03 (the most current version that I could run meeting the minimum requirements) without a hitch. Made it through all the tests and according to the online comparison, the card I have is on the fast end. All indications are that it's not the card.

I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but is it possible that there could be a difference between two vendor's cards if they are both AGP, FX5500 with 256mb? In other words two cards with the same specs but from different vendors?

I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to try getting hold of a Fuzion or EVGA FX5500 to see if one of those works? Or maybe going with an older ATI card?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but is it possible that there could be a difference between two vendor's cards if they are both AGP, FX5500 with 256mb? In other words two cards with the same specs but from different vendors?

The vendors pay to use the chipset and technology but the circuitry they design. So, yes there can be a difference
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well, I'm back to the issue being the video card. I pulled the FX5200 out of my son's pc and put it in my pc. WOW runs fine. So now I've got a new video card that is working fine for everything except WOW - which is why I got the card in the first place. It's going to be hard to convince the vendor that they should take back the card because it won't play one particular game!

And when you think about it, it's really kind of sad that I'm going through all this for a game. Oh well....

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. If nothing else at least it was a learning experience.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

And when you think about it, it's really kind of sad that I'm going through all this for a game. Oh well....

I played Dark Age Of Camelot for 4 years I know the feeling :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users