Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/spyware Free And Still Getting 100% Cpu Lock-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 River Cop

River Cop

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

After following all of RichieUK's directions to remove virus/malware/spyware from my computer I cut my youngest daughter loose on AOL to see what happened while she was on. While she was on she experienced a reoccuring problem that several of my family members have encountered while on the internet, AOL and IE7. This time as best as I can tell when my computer locked up she was looking at funny e-mail videos(Windows Media Video/Audio files) her mother had forwarded to her. These were e-mails that her mother and I had both opened and looked at previously with no problems. There were several windows open including AOL and Windows Media Player that could not be closed by clicking the red X. Task Manager showed AOL and Windows Media Player were "Not Responding" and CPU usage was fluctuating between 98%-100%. At first it was divided about 15%-20% waol.exe and about 80%-85% wmplayer.exe then it all went to wmplayer.exe. I'm confused about what could be causing my CPU to lock up on a program at almost 100%. It's done this several times in the past. Sometimes it would lock up on waol.exe and if I was using IE7 it would be iexplore.exe. This last time it locked on wmplayer.exe. I don't remember what it locked up on any of the other times. I use Task Manager to find the locked program and try to stop it but am always unsuccessful. When it does this I have to do a forced shut down by turning off the computer completely. I know this is not good to do but when Task Manager won't shut down a running program I don't know what else top do. Why does it do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

I can't go much further than the basic stuff, but maybe for some reason there are other programs running in the background that are taking up a lot of space?

Another reason is that your computer may be too old and extremely slow. Please post the specs here.

#3 River Cop

River Cop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Manufactured and supported by:

HP AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
797 MHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

Generally, if it takes a long time to recover from the "Not Responding" problem, it's a resource issue (but it may be compounded by a misbehaving program). If it doesn't recover without a reboot, then it's likely that there's a misbehaving program causing this.

The 3 programs that seem to be involved are:
AOL
Internet Explorer
Windows Media Player

Since uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling AOL is probably the easiest thing to try, I'd try that first.
Then, I'd attempt to remove IE7 by removing it from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. This will roll back your IE to version 6. Test it to see if that fixes things. Reinstall IE7
Finally, depending on the version of Windows Media Player, you may be able to roll it back in the same way that you rolled back IE.

If all of this doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by usasma, 26 May 2007 - 07:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 River Cop

River Cop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the advice but unistalling then reinstalling programs like AOL and IE7 worry me. I'm never really sure of what exact steps to take and in what order I should proceed. I'm always afraid I'll mess something up then I'll have to listen to my wife complain about how I tore up the computer again.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

:thumbsup: I listen to the from my wife every day! :flowers: It's a part of the learning process - so I'd suggest taking your lumps from the wife and fixing this anyway (yep, I don't have to be there listening to her! :trumpet:

Here's a couple of things to make the process less painful:
1) Before you start work, backup everything that you can't redo.
2) Ensure that you've got the restore disks/installation disks for the computer (in case it really fouls up). Ifit's a custom build, make sure that you've downloaded the drivers also.

With those 2 things on hand, you can "fix" any software issue that may crop up. Then it's time to start fixing things!

Follow the instructions to the best of your ability from the previous post. Best case, you'll fix it and be the hero. Worst case, you'll bust it and have to reinstall - in which case it should work anyway, so you'll be the hero (but with a lot less hair due to the frustrations of a reinstallation).

Maybe a cheap, second computer with the same OS (Windows XP) would be a good test bed for you? That way you can "play" with it to see how to do it - then you can work your wonders on the primary system without any unforseen issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users