Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power And Sound Icons Won't Load At Startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Charger

Charger

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

I'm running Windows XP Home and started having a problem a couple weeks ago with my Power and Sound icons not loading on the taskbar at startup. I checked the setting for each, and they both have the 'Always Show' checked. In order to get them to show up I have to uncheck the boxes, apply, then recheck and apply.

Any clue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charger

Charger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

I don't know if this will help with identifying the problem.

I was in safe mode to do a virus scan and while I was there I decided to change the name of one of my documents and settings folders. Upon regular startup after that, it started setting up profile settings and stuff. Not what I wanted at all (it just made a new folder with my old name and stuck the new setting in it), so I had to safeboot again and delete the new folder then change the old one back to the old name. Then all my settings came back after startup, but I still have the icon problem.

But the reason I'm posting this is that when my new profile started setting up after I first changed the folder name, the Power and Audio icons showed up as well.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

This has happened to me before, but I forgot how I fixed it, lol.

Is your computer up-to-date and is your soundcard drivers the latest available?

Also, whats the make and model and specs of your computer?

Edited by TheYoda, 27 May 2007 - 01:27 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 Charger

Charger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

I'm pretty sure everything's up to date.

HP Pavilion ze2000 notebook
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 2800+
1.60 GHz, 1.12 GB of RAM
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M
Running Windows XP Home SP2

I guess it might do me good to fill all my specs out on my profile, eh?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Your exact problem here:
winhlp.com also here: tech-pro.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 May 2007 - 02:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

Try reinstalling the devices than reinstalling them.

Right click 'My Computer', click 'Properties', go to the 'Hardware' tab, click on 'Device Manager', go to 'Sound, video, and game controllers' and right click your soundcard and click uninstall. Restart your computer. Once restarted it should try and recognize the sound card and install it and the speaker should pop-up again.

I don't know how to fix the power one, but you can do this:
Start by getting your quick launch up. (Right click the taskbar and go to the toolbars tab and click 'Quick Launch')
Go to the Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel) and click 'Switch to classic view' on the left pane. Now, right click 'Power Options' and click create shortcut. This will make a shortcut on your desktop to it. Drag the shortcut from your desktop to the Quick Launch bar and it'll be there for easy access. You can do the same thing for the sound if the fix above doesn't work.

Hope this helps,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#7 Charger

Charger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Your exact problem here:
winhlp.com also here: tech-pro.com
Mark

It appears I was able to get them back using the Ostuni Workaround mentioned in both those links. I'm content with that solution for now but will reference those sites should I decide differently in the future. Thanks both of you for the help.

Even though I searched the forums, I suppose a google search could have prevented me from starting this thread. I guess the thought slipped my mind since I had just dealt with an infection and there was so much information and people right here at the site. I'll try be a little smarter before creating a thread next time.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

I don't mind and I consider it a learning process for me also. Just think, when someone else posts this problem, you'll have the chance to help someone
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm glad you started this thread, it gives all of us an oppurtunity to see what else is out there and if everyone searched google for their problem, the forums would get very boring :thumbsup:

Glad I could help somehow,
TheYoda

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

I've experienced the missing systray icons for a long time now. My fix was to reboot - but being lazy, I usually just let it go until the next time that I had to reboot. Definitely a PITA, but it wasn't high on my priorities to go looking for a fix.

Because of this thread, I've now got some resources to fix it - so don't sell yourself short! Also, this thread will be used by many to help others fix the exact same problem. Also, once the google bot gets around to scanning the forums, this'll show up in google search results when searching for this problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users