Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi People,

I'm not too sure just where to post this but here it is anyway. I have recently started having trouble with Icons on my desktop.

First it was my icons for IE, Firefox and Yahoo messenger. I had each one of those set up to work with a program called Drop My Rights and they were all working flawlessly for almost a year.

Then my system crashed and I had to take it to the shop and when I got it back none of those three icons worked. OK so yesterday I used the icon on my desktop that points to MS Paint several times and it worked like it's supposed to. BUT when I used it today I got a missing shortcut notice.

When I checked the properties of that icon they looked a bit strange so I did a search for MSpaint and this is what I found --> http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5121/mspaintdt3.jpg
<-- I don't know how clear that pis is to everyone else but it kind of sucks when I look at it but that's the only way I know to show it to people.

OK as you can tell from the start in line paint is supposed to be lurking about in my C:\ WINDOWS\System32 folder but for some odd reason the mspaint.exe has just gotten up and walked off from where it's supposed to be.

Anyone have any ideas on how that could happen? Shoot I hadn't even restarted my PC since I'd used it last and it just took off.

EDITED: HELP!! FILES ARE DISAPPEARING FROM MY HARD DRIVE! SOL.EXE IS NO LONGER ON MY HARD DRIVE!

Thanks for any insight on this.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 25 May 2007 - 08:38 PM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ntwknewbie

ntwknewbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hello Gurus,
I also have the same problem on my laptop as Wendy. OS is Windows XP. Recently used partition magic to increase space in Drive C:. When I click on desktop shortcut, it brings up the internet explorer internet options dialog box. Checked the properties of the shortcut and the actual program executable and they point to the right program folder. Clicking on the executable within the program folders also had the same result -- ie internet options dialog box also appears. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice but always the same result.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

I'd suspect either malware or a corrupt OS (it's awful strange that there's things spontaneously disappearing!)

First, try these free, online scans to double check your current protection:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After that, I'd suggest a repair install of XP to put things back where they should be ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) For Gateways, here's another link: http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...Install06.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

I searched on my system for "mspaint" and I got 9 counts of mspaint so I would do a repair install and in your case Wendy have it done by the shop as it appeared they were the ones who snaffued..

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for those links. I'll be running through them shortly. Shoot I just got a clean bill of health from the HJT forum too.

Hi fozzie,

Thanks for the comment. As for as mspaint goes I'm lucky that it's .exe is in more than one spot. My wonderment comes from files that are supposed to live in the System32 folder just packing up and leaving like that. I was lucky with the mspaint because its .exe was in more than one folder, but not so with Sol.exe.

I don't think that I can do "A repair" install as I only have the recovery disk set for my machine and right now I don't have any of my data backed up to where I can recover it after I do a recovery.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

I'd suggest trying the instructions for a Gateway repair installation here: http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...Install06.shtml

Since eMachines was bought by Gateway their repair/restore stuff seems to be identical to me.

FYI - Step 14 is where you actually invoke the "repair" routine.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hi usasma,

Rats... :thumbsup: yet another good fix shot all to heck by the dreaded words Insert XP CD into CD ROM Drive. I don't have that disk set, I have the Recovery Disk Set and those are different buggers.

It's looking more and more like I will have to do that recovery after all. Greg took that Data disk over to his uncle for him to take it back for the techs to look at.

Meanwhile I'm busily just copying everything that'll copy from my machine to CD's. I'm using SilentNight Microburner v5.0 and that thing is supposed to be able to burn a backup to a CD but I can't figure out how to get it to back up to anything other that the C:\ drive and the Help information is almost non-existent unless you go log in on their forum.... which I just might do.

Thanks for trying John.

Wendy

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

Another member had difficulties with the eMachines/Gateway repair install and ended up reformatting his system - so I'd suggest waiting until I get my hands on an eMachine with recovery disk to try the fix on.

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hi usasma,

Hey, the Recovery Disk Set is what I have for my machine. Anyway I fixed that icon problem... by running those recovery disks. Now all I have to do is go out and find all of the programs that I just wiped out and download all of those buggers again.

Thanks for the help here.

Wendy

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

Nows the time to consider using a disk imaging utility to backup your system in case this ever happens again. With a stored image of your hard drive you'll be able to put the system back just the way you want it to be (exactly as it was the day that you created the image). I like Acronis True Image for this purpose, but it's expensive (about $50 US) - others have recommended free one's but I don't have any experience with them.

BTW - does anyone remember the user name of the Dell guy who visits here occasionally? I'd like to get in touch with him.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi usasma,

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on this. Thanks for the information I'll search around and see what I can fine on the free side.

Hey is a disk image something like an ISO thingy that would have all of my computer stuff in it or is it something else?

Thanks,

Wendy

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

A disk image is very much like an ISO, but generally imaging tools use different algorithms to copy the disk. I've never tried to generate an ISO file of my hard drive, but may give it a shot within my VM as time permits.

#13 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Likely your .EXE file extension is damaged.

You can look through these links:

MS-MVP Ramesh Srinivasan's solution: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837334

This is usually due to a virus.
Run two on-line AV scans: http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Scanners.htm

#14 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hi usasma,

Hey if you find out that you can make an ISO like that let me know so I can give it a go, OK John?

Hi zbd,

Hey thanks for the input. I found out what the problem had been... I had inadvertently removed a bunch of stuff and had to run my recovery disks to get it all back.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users