Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Officially Lost!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

I've been trying many AV/AS lately:bitdefender,F-secure,Avast,symantec....

i dont really know wish one to stick on..

Help!!

What do i need for complete security??
thanks.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

hi Wassim, I would recommend:

Free AntiVirus:
Free Firewall:

Free AntiSpyware:

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#3 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

Don't use just one, use a bunch. I have 5 antivirus/antispyware software on my laptop, and I plan to get more :thumbsup:. So don't just use one, use 'em all! But be careful what you download too. I'd recommend only downloading what bleeping computer tells you because some antivirus software are actually viruses themselves.

Edited by solaris32, 25 May 2007 - 11:01 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

Just remember, you should have only ONE active antivirus at a time look at this list: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
personally I like avast for antivirus, Comodo for the firewall, and I run one scan everyday with a different anti spyware program from the list.

Edited by oldf@rt, 26 May 2007 - 12:21 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

It is possible to keep 2 AVs
But it will slow your computer (It depends)
Security protection is always different
people have different points of view and would always debate on it
As long as you know that the Anti-Malware product has or at least several if not all of these
-Real Time protection
-Excellent Scan Engine
-Good amount of definitions in total
and are also up-to-date 24/7 Real-time world wide
-Non-memory hog
-No False Positives
-Detects all threats based in the definitions and also detects suspicious files
even if they are not in the list
That would really determine your protection from Malware
For me,i recommend the below mentioned Security programs in my aresnal at my signiture

Edited by Commander Gman, 26 May 2007 - 03:38 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:06 AM

You can have more than one anti-virus program installed on your system as long as only one of them is actively running and providing real time protection. The other should only be used as an on demand scanner. However, even when one of them is not running, problems still can arise when the active anti-virus detects the non-active one's definitions or quarantined files. Further, dual installation is not always possible because some anti-virus programs do not like others and may insist they be removed prior to installation.

The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

In contrast, using more than one anti-spyware program running in real-time mode simultaneously increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in "safe mode" provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

Thanks Guys for ur replies,

i used to have avast and symantec at the same time both running simultanously, and they failed to detect an know spyware, could it be because they are running togather or they just couldt catch it??
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

I have found that having two a/v at the same time is okay as long as only one is running at a time. If both are running at the same time; one a/v thinks the other a/v is a virus and all kinds of goofy things happen. In some cases the two a/v keep trying to remove each other.

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

If at that time,you were running them at the same time scanning then chances are most likely;Yes
Their scan engines may get jumbled up thus,they were unable to detect the spyware

and they failed to detect an know spyware

It also depends on what ever type of malware that is you're trying to detect
something new/out of the blue,
undiscovered from their definition list,etc.

They would always conflict as what quietman7 had said
incompatibility issues,undesired results are therefore received
So for me,i really recommend only 1 AV at a time so choose carefully

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users