Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning My Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

my computer has been running slow lately so i ran AVG 7.5, spybot, and Ad-ware SE Personel. it is running better now but is still a little slow. I saw two other programs called CCleaner and Advanced Windows Care. What are these and are they better than the other programs i have?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

I am not a big fan of registry cleaners; unless you are very careful about what you are doing and deleting, and have some understanding of Windows, you can do your computer more harm than good.
There are other more immediate, and safer, things you can do with greater results:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 May 2007 - 05:46 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hi shortyman,

Why don't you jump over here --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ and start following all of the instructions there. I'll bet that by the time you get to the bottom of the page things will be a lot better on your PC.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

You can also take a look at Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware. Before you try Wendy's link. Her link should be used after all other less forceful means don't achive the results you are looking for, or if you suspect malware. This does not mean her link is not valuable, just that there are other steps that are less drastic available to try first.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi Animal,

Hey thanks for posting that link *takes two aspirin* now all that reading is going to give me a headache but should be well worth my effort.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

You're very welcome Wendy, far be it from me to not share "my pain". :flowers:

*Animal hands Wendy a handful of aspirin for future use. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

Hi Animal,

*puts aspirin in pocket and kicks Animal on the shin* :thumbsup: Thanks for the link, looks like it's gonna make for some interesting reading, I wonder if it'll help the original poster?

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users