Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Not Disconnecting Completley

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Here's the scoop I am working on a Dell Dimension 2400 Service tag number 4H2K441. The problem I am having is the Modem will not completley hang up after discconnecting the dial up connection. I have installed a brand new modem, tried a new phone line, tried a different PCI slot. The computer is running Windows XP SPII and was just fully updated 2 weeks ago. The primary internet is AOL 9 I also tried a test dial up connection dialing my cell phone and uppon discconecting the computer still doesnt completley hang up. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Are you only using the AOL software program to dial? It may be a problem with that.
You can test the modem independently of the AOL dialing software with a program included with WinXP called Hyperterminal.
Here's a basic guide for it: http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/diva/hyperterminal.asp

Basically you're going to test it by opening a new session to your modem (whichever COM port it's assigned to) and then dialing the ISP or test number with the command: ATDT 555-5555 (substitute for actual number).
Then you can test whether the modem will hang up by entering the command: +++ ATH0
You can also test it going on hook and off hook with that command. ATH1 is on hook, ATH0 is off.
Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

AOL is the primary Dialer, but I also used windows dialup connection and had the same result.. I will try hyperterminal and see what I come up with.. Draw back is this is an onsite call and I don't have the computer with me.. Will try this weekend though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

I have seen a lot of connection problems recently with AOL. I'd suggest uninstalling the AOL software and reinstalling it (if needed) just to be sure that there's no corruption in the files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

@usasma, even though it does it with other dialers Do you think AOL could still be the culprit?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

It could be if AOL has corrupted more than just it's own software (such as elements of the dialup connection that is used by the other apps). I've seen this a lot recently and am not aware of a fix for it (the fix at work is to format and reinstall the entire OS. Also, most of these systems have also been infected - so that may be a factor).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

will give it a try, reformating as a last resort :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 May 2007 - 09:47 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

All is well and working now. Found a few actually 4 trojans and removed them. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users