Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Cpu Fan!, Fan Not Working Correctly, Confused

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cgrim29588

cgrim29588

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

This is a long story, I'm sorry, but it all helps the solution, (i hope)

About a year ago, my computer would get hot and shut itself off after about a half hour of use, as a safety feature. I replaced the northbridge fan with a large heatsink, hoping this was the problem. it wasnt. So about 3 months ago, my wife got a new laptop, so i was going to take over her old computer, but there were somethings on this computer that i wanted off. So i turn it on, get aas much stuff off as possible and then it shuts off. it does this about 3-4 times, then one time it stays on, and it says on for 2 weeks or so without shutting itself off yet again. i download a temperature monitor and figure out that the CPU temp skyrockets up to near 80c , then it shuts off. so i open up the side and stick a house fan next to it to keep it cool. I go to my local computer shop, where he replaces the fan and says that its all good, which it was for a couple days. then i notice the fan speed is erratic, 5k rpm down to 1800 up to 7300 down to 800, etc. Computer shop guy tells me, you probly got a bad power supply, so i fix that. also, works for a couple days. Now, sometimes when i turn my computer on, the fan works just fine, other times it struggles to even move. sometimes it fixes itself after being on for awhile and sometimes it doesnt. i have no idea what is going on but i am getting tired of a fan on my desk! thank you for helping

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

If its a CPU Fan its most likely throttling up and down according to CPU usage. I have seen this mostly on gateway machines but alot of motherboard manufactures include this feature. AMD also has a feature they call Quiet cool wich actually changes CPU settings to match system requirements. Is your CPU staying at or below 30 C with the new fan?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users