Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pinky Accidently Touches Caps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Don't you hate it when you accidentally hit the caps lock key? Sometimes I have a whole sentence typed in before I realize my mistake!
what if you could set your computer up so it alerts you when your pinky finger wanders off and taps the caps lock key? with this tip, I'll show you how to make your computer beep & flash the next time it happens.
the first thing you'll need to do is get the computer to beep when you hit the caps lock key. here's how:
click the Start button, Settings, Control Panel (XP Users, hit the Start button, Control Panel). Open (click on)the Accessibility Options Icon.

on the Keyboard tab, click the "Use toggle keys" checkbox.

that's it for the beeping part.
next, we need to get your screen to flash you, uh, flash at you. Here's how:
from the Accessibility Options screen, click the Sound tab and check the "Use soundsentry" checkbox.

next click the settings button and select "flash active window" from the "warning for windowed programs" drop down box.

that's it. hit OK until you're clear of property and settings screens. open your favorite word processor and hit your caps lock key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

I needed this one indeed :thumbsup:

Edited by Wassim, 25 May 2007 - 06:06 PM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

the first thing you'll need to do is get the computer to beep when you hit the caps lock key. here's how:
click the Start button, Settings, Control Panel (XP Users, hit the Start button, Control Panel). Open (click on)the Accessibility Options Icon.

on the Keyboard tab, click the "Use toggle keys" checkbox.
that's it for the beeping part.

The beep is extremely quiet (and easily drowned out by the sound of my typing). Is there any way to make it louder?
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#4 mme

mme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

The beep is extremely quiet (and easily drowned out by the sound of my typing). Is there any way to make it louder?

im not really sure about motherboard speaker
i can control volume on my motherboard speaker
check your volume settings make sure that they are at reasonable levels

#5 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

The only volume control facilities I can find change the main stereo speaker volume but not the motherboard speaker. Looks like I'm stuck with the faintly whispered beep.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

KiNd Of NeAt, CaN't HaRdLy HeAr ThE tHiNg, BuT tHaTs Ok

#7 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

nice tip that! :thumbsup:

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

Good Tip!
I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars! :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 27 May 2007 - 10:27 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#9 mme

mme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hi Layback Bear

KiNd Of NeAt, CaN't HaRdLy HeAr ThE tHiNg, BuT tHaTs Ok

but does the screen flash when you hit the caps by mistake
Hey arny

nice tip that!

thanks
Hey Commander Gman

Good Tip!
I'll give it 4 out of 5 stars!

i appreciate the rating

Edited by mme, 29 May 2007 - 12:07 AM.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

I know this is last month post, but I just wanted to get back to you and say thanks. It's is a great tip/trick. I hear the beep in two different tones and I see the flash. I like it.

#11 stanmcman

stanmcman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

great tip! i'll give it a try until it drives me batty :D
"Life is uncertain... eat dessert first !"

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

I didn't think that I'd like this tip until I tried it - now I'm sold on it!!!

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 tetonbob

tetonbob

• Malware Response Team
  • 796 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

Nice tip, thanks.
Practice Safe Surfing

Proud Member of UNITE since 2006

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic