Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Uninstalling Software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pb_25

pb_25

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I had installed Orcad lite software on my computer. The folder that it was installed in was accidentally deleted, and it is still listed under the add/remove programs list. I cannot uninstall it, it gives an error, "Unable to locate install log file C:\Program files\OrcadLite\Uninst_R92lite.isu". I no longer need the program, and I just want it completely uninstalled. I no longer have the CD because it came with a textbook, but before I sold it back, I had tried to reinstall it, and it failed.

Also, I have another entry of jointmediagroup codec under the add/remove programs. This was due to spyware, which has since been removed. When I try to uninstall it, it gives me a 'Error loading the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\aeihghaj.dll. The specified module could not be found' error. The file is one that was deleted during the spyware removal procedure.

Can someone please help me figure out how to handle these two problems?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

First thing to try is using add/ remove programs while in safemode. How do you know the codec was removed? Have you posted a Hijack This log?
Mark

Briefly checked Orcad's site. Couldn't find anything in their FAQ's. Maybe try emailing them:
Orcad contact

Edited by garmanma, 25 May 2007 - 05:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

You can remove the programs from the Add/Remove Programs dialog by editing the registry - but this won't solve the underlying problem of removing the programs.

To remove them you'll have to track down every trace of them on your hard drive and in your registry. But, if you delete the wrong thing you may end up with a non-functioning computer. Is there a particular reason to remove them (like you're running out of space or they're causing problems on the PC)? If not, then I'd suggest leaving them there since they're not hurting anything.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pb_25

pb_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

I tried to uninstall both programs in safe mode, but I had no luck. The same messages appeared. I did post a HiJackthis log in the anti-malware forum earlier this week, and that is how I was able to remove the spyware (I am a first time user of BC; as a matter of fact, this is only my second topic). I was uninstalling unused programs, and I noticed these 2 entries were still there. I could post this under the anti-malware forum, but I didn't know if that was the appropriate category. If I knew for sure that Orcad was fully uninstalled (when I deleted the folder the program was contained in), I would be content to just remove it from the list. I just want to be sure that it is completely uninstalled. But I think I may need to do more to properly uninstall it (registry values, etc; I just don't know). As for the jointmediacodec, I really think that it just needs to be removed from the list. My helper in the anti-malware forum was 'amateur', and I feel like she did a very thorough and excellent job in instructing me to removing the malware (thanks again amateur!!! :thumbsup:). I was really impressed by how knowledgeable she was, and I feel like it just need to be removed from the list. What do you recommend for me to do next?

Thanks,
Palmer

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

We're all amateurs here! :thumbsup:

From what I can see, neither the Orcad or the jointmediacodec are considered malware, so their removal should be fairly easy (although this may not rid you of them entirely)

For OrCad, search your hard drive for instances of the term "orcad" and "cadence" - check each one before deleting them (and back them up if you're not sure). Then backup your registry. Then search the registry for the same terms - check each one before deleting them also (backup the individual keys if necessary). FYI - the Add/Remove Programs entry in the registry is usually stored at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (from this link: http://www.akadia.com/services/remove_invalid_entries.html )

Then, just navigate back to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall key and remove the entry for the jointmediacodec (back it up first).

The backups are "just in case" things that will help out if something untoward and unexpected happens - after a bit of testing you can delete the backups to the Recycle Bin. Leave them there (once again, just in case) so that they'll be removed normally as the Recycle Bin fills (this'll give you a bit more "insurance" against unforseen consequences of the removal.

Take these steps carefully, and test things as much as possible. This should include several reboots and a test of your ability to restore parts of the registry from your backups. It's not rocket science, but it's so durned complicated that it's best to be sure before proceeding with anything that may cause problems..
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 pb_25

pb_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

Thanks John, I will try that. I am a bit wary since I have never attempted to use regedit, but I will try it and see what happens. I read the link you sent me, and it gives straightforward instructions. Thanks for the help, and I will let you know how it turns out!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

Backup, backup, backup!!! That's the most important part of this. If you hose the system by accident, then backups will save you (as long as you know how to restore them if Windows won't boot).

#8 pb_25

pb_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

I exported the entries to a folder before I removed them. Everything's seems to have been working fine since. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users