Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half-life 2 Levels

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hey everyone! Could someone tell me if I will need to download any special editors or software to play Half-life 2 mods. And, are the maps easy to install and play?

Edited by GoodFortitude, 25 May 2007 - 11:34 AM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

In order to play half life 2 mods (that other people have made) all you need is a legit copy of Half life 2 that works on steam. most mods make it really easy by giving you an installer that you run, and other will give you specific directions on what to do. Most of the time you will have 1 folder for the mod, and you just add that into your steammapps,/sourcemods directory. Most mods have the maps in the folder ready to go, and if you dont have the maps usually when you join a server it will DL on to your comp for you.good luck, happy hunting

Edited by ussr1943, 25 May 2007 - 04:36 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Wow, easy. thanks ussr. I like to download the maps and play offline, actually. Slow connection :sad:

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Minerva Metastatsis is a very good HL2 single player mod I tried just recently. It's not very long, but most single player mods tend not to be.
It's reasonably challenging with some top-notch maps and a cryptic storyline.
http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/inde...amp;AppId=90000
Posted Image

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

wow. thanx for the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

Also,

The Minerva Metastatsis mod also has a prequel, I think it's called 'Someplace Else' and it is a Half-Life 1 mod, but it's still just as confusing.

Insurgencymod.net is supposed to be coming out in June. So far, it has looked pretty impressive. It is a total conversion of Half-Life 2 with just about all the content in it being newly made for that game.

Oh, can't forget http://www.garrysmod.com/. It is basacially a sandbox for Half-Life 2 where you can mess around. Some people have made their own webcomics of Half-Life 2 using Garry's Mod, such as Concerned Citizen.

#7 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

Here's a site I found that has links to many, many HL2 mods.

Specific mods for HL2 I would suggest:

Battlegrounds 2 (the "sequel" uses the Source engine) is class-based team FPS based on the American Revolutionary War. You actually have to load and pack the powder and bullet before you can fire a shot. And of course, while you are loading, someone else can charge at you with bayonet drawn (naturally, you can do the same). Most games today seem to be centered around current/modern/future weapons, or WW2-era fighting. This is an interesting change of pace.

Pirates, Vikings and Knights is kind of fun, if you enjoy swash-buckling, raiding, and crusading (respectively) your way around a map with melee weapons. The slashing gets old quickly, however. Might be fun as an "extra" game at a lan.

Eternal Silence is pretty interesting. Two teams each have a large ship or base; you fly fighters from your base to dogfight other players, attack defense turrets on the base, and eventually board the enemy base and begin to take check points. Nice blend of weapons and gameplay.

Oh, and while I am at it, here's a site called Mod Data Base, which lists community-created mods for a large list of games.

Now, as an admin had mentioned in the past, it's worth pointing out that while it's nice that PC gaming communities create great mods for games, it's worth remembering that 3rd party mods add an element of unknown and can sometimes not work (and at least conceivably cause inadvertent harm, but I don't think that is very probable). Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT:

Oh, can't forget http://www.garrysmod.com/. It is basacially a sandbox for Half-Life 2 where you can mess around.

Though Gary's Mod used to be free before Valve got their hands on it... :thumbsup:

Edited by locally pwned, 29 May 2007 - 11:28 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure the agreement with Valve was that Garry's Mod version 10 would be offered for like $10 (don't remember the price), but version 9 should still be free. Still, I believe he added a bunch of stuff to version 10 to make buying it worthwhile.

*edit*

Battlegrounds 2, has it changed much from when it came out? I don't remember if I played that, but I know I played a source port of the origonal Battlegrounds and it looked like crap (models and animations weren't great).

Edited by Wizdabest, 30 May 2007 - 01:52 PM.

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:43 AM

Apparently Valve doesn't own it, but the guy who does charges for the newest version. 10 bucks ain't bad, and from what I hear, the added stuff and future support are worth it.

Battleground 2 is actually the only one I have played (it's done with Source). Most of the maps are well done, some are down right gorgeous; though there are a couple maps that have large open spaces and the ground textures just repeat. The models and effects seem pretty good, I like the fact that the guns produce large amounts of smoke. I haven't played BG2 in a while, but the last build I did play was pretty nice.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#10 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

Actually, I'm getting ready to buy Battleground 2. And, you're right Arcman, as far as mods go Minerva is perhaps the best I've ever played. I wouldn't say it's perfect but I'd give it a strong 9 so far. 'course I only just started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users