Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Xp On A Second Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xandr

Xandr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hello, I am having problems on my present operating system that I cannot resolve so I am thinging that I can install XP on my second harddrive which presently is empty used only for storage. How do I install XP on this second harddrive of 250 gb? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hi Xandr, you will have to go into the bios and change the boot/primary drive to the one you want to install XP on to.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Xandr

Xandr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thank you would I be able to maintain the existing operating system. What I would like to do is set up the second drive and be able to have each drive have it own operating system and gradually move over my files to the now empty drive. Then after I have accomplished the transfer delete the existing drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

Yes, you can do this - but if it's the same copy of Windows XP, this may be construed as a violation of EULA. And you'd find that out by finding that Windows won't update anything for you - leaving you open to exploits from the internet. At best, you'd have 30 days (before activation is required) to move the stuff over.

Have you considered doing a repair install of Windows to fix your problems, or using a disk imaging utility to save the entire disk image (so that you can restore it at a later date? Or you can simply buy a second copy of XP if you'd like.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Xandr

Xandr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

I thought of doing a repair but when I installed my operating Disc I could not see an option to do the repair. I did not want to reinstall over the existing system. Can you tell me what I shoud be looking for when installing the Operating System CD? And what the steps are to make that repair. If I went ahead with the installation of the Operating System on my second harddrive what are the steps to make it happen? Thanks Xandr

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Here are the steps to perform a repair install of windows XP. Remember you need to boot your computer from the XP cd by changing the boot order in the BIOS.

Edited by Baloo, 25 May 2007 - 11:52 AM.

When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Xandr

Xandr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

How do I access the "Bios?" to commence?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

What's the make and model of your system - each manufacturer uses different key combinations to access the BIOS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Xandr

Xandr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

I am on a Pentium 4 built by Gateway 3000 Mz running XP Pro Media Player
1 gb ram with two 245 harddrives.

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

Yes, you can do this - but if it's the same copy of Windows XP, this may be construed as a violation of EULA. And you'd find that out by finding that Windows won't update anything for you - leaving you open to exploits from the internet. At best, you'd have 30 days (before activation is required) to move the stuff over.

Well there you go I never new always thought it was only copyright on another PC (yep checked out the web page) Always learning @bleeping

Edited by Monty007, 25 May 2007 - 07:31 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Actually, it's just a matter of interpretation of the EULA - and Microsoft tends to interpret it very strictly. I also learn something new every day here! :thumbsup:

For a Gateway, press F10 as the screen first lights up and that'll take you to the BIOS boot menu (for temporarily changing the boot order). Pressing F2 will take you into the BIOS setup (where you can permanently change the boot order). As I recall, it's F11 to get into the Gateway recovery program. With Gateways (in general) the i386 folder isn't on the recovery partition, it's on the CD and has to be copied before starting the recovery.

Here's a link from Gateway on how to do a repair install: http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...Install06.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users