Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Using Unsecured Wi-fi Signal From Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

MODERATOR -- PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM IF THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE TO POST. THANKS!

Hi,

I checked to see if there was any wi-fi signals that my home laptop could pick up from my apartment, and three come up. Two are secured and one is unsecured. So I connected to the unsecured one and although the signal is only one bar, I had a decent high-speed wireless connection. The name of it was just a bunch of numbers. I looked up the IP address that was listed for it, and it was listed as "Internet Assigned Numbers Authority" and the comment said "This block is reserved for special purposes."
Note: I use ZoneAlarm 7.0.302

Questions:

1. Is this okay (i.e. "safe" and/or "legal") to use?

2. Can I get a trojan or a virus or anything from using it?

3. Does using it give access to my computer to someone else?

4. Can another person get or see anything from/on my computer?

5. What information, etc. can someone else see if I use this wi-fi connection? Websites I visit? Passwords I type in?

6. For using this (or other free Wi-Fi, like at a cafe or something), what settings in ZoneAlarm Free or Windows in general should I make sure are set a certain way so that I'm secure?

6a. And what/how does ZA protect me while using this or any other Wi-Fi connection?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

1) No (IMO) it's not OK. It's not safe, since you don't know if it's the "Virus King's" network. It may or may not be legal (depends on your local laws). It may not be allowed (depends on the rules of the network owner AND on the rules of the ISP that provides the internet service. Finally, it's (IMO) morally unacceptable and is (once again IMO) akin to poaching on someone else's property.

2) Yes, you can get infected from it. Be very, very careful when surfing in uncharted waters, you don't know the intent of those who own this network.

3) Access to your computer is possible, just as it is possible on any network. I'd say that the likelyhood is greater because you're Intranet settings will be less strict than your Internet settings - so someone on the network will find it easier to enter your computer.

4) Without much sophistication it's possible to see your traffic to and from the router - and since it's unencrypted, it'll be pretty durned easy.

5) Same as #4

6) Shields up - don't let anything in or out without approval. Eventually you'll recognize what's good and what's bad - but until then, personally approve any attempts to access the network or your PC. Yes, it's a PITA, but it's also the safest way.

6a) It does it by blocking the traffic into and out of your computer. Although this isn't a 100% secure solution, it's pretty durned good. The only sure way to prevent hacking of your system is not to connect to anything, ever (not a real solution if you want to use the computer normally).

Finally, you can be tracked by your wireless signal - and if it's illegal in your state, you can be charged with a crime and be forced to pay back what you've taken.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely pass connecting-to/using it. I didn't know...

I was only connected for about 5 minutes or so, and just went to about 5 or 6 websites (nothing bad, just NBC.com, things like that) to see how fast it was.

I did not check my email or go to any site that I had to type in a password.

I'm a bit worried about #2, #3, #4, & #5 now, just having used it for that 5 minutes.

I noticed that in ZA that the wireless modem in Firewall>Zones was listed as "Internet" under the "Zone" heading.

I also have Internet Zone Security and Trusted Zone Security both set to "High" in Firewall>Main Tab.

At this point, is there anything I should be worried about? Is there anything I should do/check on my laptop to make sure nothing "bad" happened?

Is there anything that person could have got or saw, etc.?

Also, concerning #6 -- how do I make sure I'm "shields up" with ZA Free? What settings should I make sure are set?

Looking forward to hearing back...

Edited by bloomcounty, 25 May 2007 - 10:47 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Since it was only for 5 minutes and it's likely that you were on someone's home network (rather than the King of Viruses) - I'd say that you were OK for now.

To be sure, try a couple of these free, online scans:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
If they show up clean, then there's nothing to worry about.

As for "shields up" in ZA, I'll have to defer to others since I haven't used it in a while (I seem to recall a Block All Traffic button somewhere in the interface)

Edited by usasma, 26 May 2007 - 08:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users