Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noise From Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:17 AM

When I turn my computer on sometimes it will make this audible whiring noise, that goes away after a while also it tends to fade in and out as it goes away, it is not my power supply fan but could be my cooling fan for the proccesser. My computer seems to be running fine otherwise, not sure if its over heating or not. Is there any way to check on the health of the processer fan?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 May 2007 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

Open the case and try to identify the location of the noise. While the case is open, it's a good time to give your computer a clean, which may solce the problem.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:43 AM

ok it is the processor fan and blowing it out didnt help, but the good thing is its still running, but I suppose I need to replace it now, whats the rough cost for a simple one? Also the temp according to Speed fan averaves about 44C with one degree fluctuaions up and down. sounds like it going to die pretty soon though.

Edited by Nooodle, 25 May 2007 - 03:45 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:51 AM

It depends on the processor but 44C doesn't sound too bad - I would start to worry if it approaches 60C, but some can tolerate up to 90C. I think you can get a fan for about 15USD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:06 AM

Do you have any case fans? If not, getting 1 or 2 will help a lot in keeping the CPU cool.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

ok I bought a new processor cooling fan and installed a case fan, thankfully the noise it gone now. According to "SpeedFan" the ambient temp is about 10 degrees cooler now but the remote 1 seems to fluctuate between 45C and 60C and a little flame pops up becide it. LMAO and remote 2 is -128C and doesent move.
Posted Image

#7 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

ok as I said before about the whiring noise, well it has returned. I have brand new fans so I know its not that, so I am out of ideas as to what could be makeing the noise.
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I suggest cracking open the side of the case and seeing if you can spot the source of the whirring (don't touch anything since it'll still be "live" with electricity). The most likely cause is a fan, but the hard drive runs a close second to that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users