Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have Invisible Files In Empty Folders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joe blow

joe blow

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

Hi,

I downloaded some videos from a site I thought was safe, (according to site advisor). When I deleted the videos I noticed that when I put my cursor over the floder that had contained them it said, "folder is empty 28 kilobytes". It seemed strange that an empty folder would have 28 kilobytes in it so I scaned the folder with avg anti virus and anti spyware. They came back clean but said that they had scanned two files in the supposedly empty folder. There is nothing in the folder when I click on it. My computer is set to show hidden files and folders.

Is this a sign that my computer may be infected with something?

A similar thing happened a while ago after I downloaded some photos from the flickr web site.

I have also tried a few online scans, Trend, Mcafee and Symantec they were all clean

Also while I was surfing your site a web site called stop-sign loaded up. Is this something to do with your site or is it another sign of infection.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

I downloaded some videos from a site I thought was safe, (according to site advisor).

Then what makes you think they were unsafe and needed to be removed.

I scaned the folder with avg anti virus and anti spyware. They came back clean but said that they had scanned two files in the supposedly empty folder.

Where is the folder located and were you able to get a name for whatever was scanned? Have you tried to delete or rename the folder?

eAcceleration StopSign is an program that was previously listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List because of the company's history of employing deceptive advertising and drive-by-downloads. The company was also known for removing and/or disabling competing apps. These objectionable business practices were employed primarily during the years 2002-2003. It has been been de-listed as a rogue because the vendor has taken some actions to correct these concerns.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

You are most likely seeing either a file that is the thumbnail directory, or perhaps a maintenance file from another graphic application (e.g., Picasa).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

Your probably right on target jgweed. I know that the Jpegger Image viewer saves a hidden thumbnail cache in jpeggeri.dat files in every folder it is used.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 joe blow

joe blow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

I deleted the videos only because I no longer wanted them. The folder they were in was a folder I had created in the "my videos" folder, and I was able to delete it.

When I scanned the folder with avg it just said "two files scanned", it did not say what they were.

The main reason that I was worried was that the files were invisible even though my computer is set to show hidden files and folders. If you don't feel that this is a cause for concern then I guess it should be ok.

Thanks again for the help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

Your welcome.