Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent Windows Pop-up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

Does anybody know how to remove or prevent a windows message box like 'Windows couldn't find the file "C:\windows\kasengjangansocial.exe" blah..blah blah..., during start-up.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

Try using AutoRuns.

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:45 AM

Normally this kind of irritating pop-up is because a virus removal was incomplete. So, the first step is to conduct several different scans to ensure the virus(s) are really gone.

Here's a couple of free, online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Let us know the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, you're right. I recently scanned my pc and the viruses found by anti virus and anti spyware were overwhelming.This file might be virus -related but it got deleted already.Ill try to run online scan.Thank you.

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

1 trojan horse virus, 7 infected http cookies and 2 vulnerablilities detected.However, I could not apply the appropriate action to these 2 vulnerabilities as there were no options to choose from other than the links to its informations.
I closed the IE and restarted the pc but no difference made.This irritating pop up still appears during start up.
and when I rght click on the task bar , task manager is disabled and there is no way to access it anymore when I need it.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hi yethpc, boot into safe mode and run a full scan for adawre download this program as it works very well http://superantispyware.com/
Id suggest b4 starting make a system restore point.
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

As I stated earlier, the popup is likely the result of an incomplete virus removal. I'll tell you how to fix the popup - but it may not work if the system isn't clean.

Also, in general the vulnerabilities refer to Windows Updates (or other vulnerable programs) - I'd suggest a visit to the Windows Update site and get the updates there to fix the vulnerabilities.

To stop the popup, use this free program ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) to locate the entry(ies) with the kasengjangansocial.exe in it. Then disable it and the popup should stop (but may restart if the system isn't clean).

A couple of tips for healthier surfing:
A) If it pops up and you don't want it - close your browser by pressing Alt + F4 (or by right clicking on it in the task bar and selecting "Close")
1) Don't ever click on anything that you didn't ask for - and then be durned sure what you're asking for.
2) Don't ever open an email without scanning it first - I don't care if it's from the Pope, scan it first!
3) If something wants to be installed on your system - tell it no. Only install stuff that you've downloaded and scanned.
4) If you're downloading something, scan it before you open it - ALWAYS!!!
5) Have good a good antivirus (only 1), antispyware, and a firewall (only 1) running at all times.

Edited by usasma, 27 May 2007 - 07:22 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

More viruses still left but the avg anti virus and anitspyware say negative.The short cut icons have been disfigured and the colors have changed.I cant access the task manager anymore, it is not in enabled-state.My avg anti virus email scanner confiuration has even changed and I dont know how to put it back.Thanks for any suggestions.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

It seems that you get infected very quickly, so I'd wonder what's causing this. It may be to your benefit to format your hard drive and start over with a fresh installation of Windows.

Otherwise, just keep running multiple anti-virus scans until the problem behavior disappears.

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

thanks again.I was able to put the appearance of the icons back to normal which is 16 -bit resolution.But I couldnt download the autorun, there must be a problem with the page.Is there any othe rlink?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

Direct download link: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:32 AM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users