Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interrupted Download - Can I Get The Rest?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

I was downloading Ubuntu and left the computer on because it takes ages. Microsoft took it upon itself to give itself permission to automatically install updates, did this and restarted the computer when the download had done about 500 MB of the 600 or so MB. This is saved and says it is "part". Can I restart the download, but just get the remainder, not restart from the beginning? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Assuming the file is not corrupt, you could remove the .part extension from the file and rejoin it with a FTP client that supports resume, such as Filezilla. You would do this by using the FTP client to save the file to the same directory. This of course assumes that your download source will be from an ftp address.
Posted Image

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Assuming the file is not corrupt, you could remove the .part extension from the file and rejoin it with a FTP client that supports resume, such as Filezilla. You would do this by using the FTP client to save the file to the same directory. This of course assumes that your download source will be from an ftp address.

Well, the download address starts ftp: so I assume that the download source is from an ftp address. Will filezilla being able to recognize where it left off be affected by it being a WINRAR archive (rather than a "normal" file)? Is filezilla easy to figure out or will I just replace spending hours and hours downloading again with hours and hours trying to figure that out? I am a complete idiot, I know nothing and I am too stupid to learn anything new.
Thank you.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

I am a complete idiot, I know nothing and I am too stupid to learn anything new.
Thank you.

Haha, if this is actually the case I strongly advise you not to download Linux. :thumbsup:

Filezilla doesn't care about what type of file it is beyond whether it's a plain text file or a binary file, in this case I assume it's an ISO meaning it's binary. As long as it can figure out the spot where the download left off, it will continue it.

To work it you'll need to connect to the site and browse to the folder that contains the file you want to resume.
For example: ftp.wayne.edu/linux_distributions/ubuntu/7.04/ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso

ftp.wayne.edu is the site, and the iso file is in a folder three subdirectories down from the root folder. Browse to linux_distributions, then ubuntu, then 7.04, and then point to the .iso file and initiate the file transfer to the same directory where your partial file is saved.

In the future, if you use Firefox there's a download manager called DownloadThemAll which supports resuming interrupted downloads natively.
Posted Image

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I am a complete idiot, I know nothing and I am too stupid to learn anything new.
Thank you.

Haha, if this is actually the case I strongly advise you not to download Linux. :trumpet:

Well, we shall soon see whether it is actually the case :thumbsup: (Actually, the little bit of Linux I've looked at seems more familiar to me than Windows XP - it makes more sense.)

I downloaded the files to install filezilla, but it all looks like too much effort for me to learn, when I download so seldom, and it seems geared to more computer savvy people - thanks anyway, I know it's there if I need it.

I've restarted the Ubuntu download from scratch, so let's hope there are no power blackouts, crashes, etc. etc. etc. :flowers:

In the future, if you use Firefox there's a download manager called DownloadThemAll which supports resuming interrupted downloads natively.

Yes, I do use Firefox, that sounds more "my style". I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help. I feel much calmer now :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users