Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ggb

ggb

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

Lately when I boot on I get a black screen with "CIE BIOS Supported" highlited. Have to press F1 to continue. How do I get rid of this? Thanks

Edited by ggb, 24 May 2007 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

Have you checked your BIOS settings?

#3 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

Have you checked your BIOS settings?

I dont know what they should be.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

When you get into the BIOS most of them will have a back to default setting or optimize settings that you can choose. I just can't remember which choice you can find it in, can't get into my BIOS, at work..... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

Most likely there's an error mentioned just before the "Press F1 to continue" prompt. That error message is needed to help decide what actions to take to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

The only error I see says " Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)." Is this the problem?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

Yes, that's the most likely cause of it. To fix the error, you'll either have to fix the floppy drive failure or turn off the floppy drive stuff in the BIOS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

I know it has to be fixed. What I DONT know is how!!!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

OK, what's the make and model of your system? Also, when it boots, let us know the name of the BIOS (AMI, American Megatrends, Phoenix, etc) and we "may" be able to find some of the settings for you (BIOS screens don't seem to be well represented on the web).

While you're waiting, look around inside the BIOS, and disable anything to do with the Floppy. Check all the screens that are in the BIOS. If, by chance, you hose the BIOS and the system won't boot - unplug the system from the wall, remove the CMOS batter (usually a round shiny thing the size of a nickel, and wait 30 minutes. Then put the battery back in, plug the computer in and the BIOS should have returned to default values.

#10 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

It says "Phoenix V6 00PG, an energy star ally.
My PC is a Shuttle with XP Pro. If that is what you were asking. Inside the BIOS it is a foreign language to me. Obviously am not computer literate.
It would scare me to death to remove anything. If the fix is complicated will have to take to the workshop OR live with pressing F1 every boot.
Did a search on BIOS setting and came up with nothing. Thanks again

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:58 AM

Almost there - which of these 2 pages most closely represents what you see when you enter the BIOS:

http://www.computerhope.com/help/phoenix.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/help/phoenixa.htm

#12 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thank you for trying to help. It was easier to disable the Boot Floppy in BIOS which got rid of the F1 instruction. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users