Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P4 Vs. Core 2 Duo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

This sounds really stupid, but is a 3.* GHz Pentium 4 processor better than a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor? You'd think the answer would be pretty obvious, but maybe there are a few things in the "new technology" of the Duo that somehow makes it better?

If the P4 would be better, I'll totally buy it, because it's cheaper than the Duo... (Example: P4 is $55. Core 2 is $120.)

EDIT: Would that P4 be compatible with this motherboard?

Edited by madman6510, 24 May 2007 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

The pentium 4 is not even close to the Core 2 Duo. The core 2 series was developed for lower temps, lower wattage, etc. The pentium four is at least 5 or 6 year old technology, and was designed for higher frequencies, it has higher power needs. if you go here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html , you can run a comparison of the two different processors that you are interested in.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Aside from the obvious price difference, the P4 is becoming obsolete. I'd just stick with the Core 2 Duo because it provides you a better value in the long run. I'm running a 2.4 Core 2 Duo myself and I couldn't love it better.

There's plenty of Core 2 Duo-compatible motherboards that are affordable, take a look at newegg.com.

*EDIT* The fundamental difference between the processors is that the Core 2 Duo is capable of splitting tasks into two different processors, thereby making it far more efficient, whereas a P4 cannot (having to utilize its entire CPU to perform all the tasks).

Edited by Venek, 26 May 2007 - 08:51 AM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users