Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Hates My New Hp Dvd840i Drive...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roseredd

roseredd

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey, guys- in a hurry, have to be breif but need some help!

I recently replaced my old CD burning drive with an HP DVD840i lightscribe dual-layer drive. After installing the Nero software that came with, I tried to burn a DVD. No luck. I then tried to burn a CD to test what I was doing wrong- on putting the blank CD into the drive, my computer desided to restart. So, with a sigh, I tried again. Restarted again.

Unfortunantly, upon the second restart, although I was able to remove the CD from the drive as Windows was starting, upon the closing of the (empty) drive door, it restarted AGAIN! It continued to do this until I was forced to pull the plug. It was eventually restarting every few seconds, not even going all the way.

I unplugged the drive and re-tried. As soon as the computer came on, it went back to continuously restarting. With a sinking feeling, I turned off the computer and took out the drive once more. The only reason I am able to type to you right now is that the drive is not pluged into the computer.

Have I done something wrong? I have never installed a burner before, but I carefully observed where the old one was and followed all the directions....

I went to the HP website looking for help, and found this page, which I thought was the answer to my problem: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN But as it turns out, I don't have the problematic software anyway, so that isn't it.

Am I doomed to a DVD-burnerless life?!? Help or advice, anyone? :thumbsup:

-RR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

What type of computer is it. store bought (Gateway, E-machine etc..) or a custom built? and what operating system are you using?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 roseredd

roseredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

What type of computer is it. store bought (Gateway, E-machine etc..) or a custom built? and what operating system are you using?

As I remember it is a custom built from some company in Australia. It was given to me by a parents a few years back, and as we live in the USA I don't know why that would be the case, but that it what I recall from the last time I had to find out. I remember having to do quite a bit of searching for info on it, as the casing doesn't have a signature look or logo.

It is running Windows XP.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

after verifying that the jumper is set correctly and like the old drive that you took out, just hook the power cable in and test
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users