Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

May Have Gone A Little Too Far

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

I have had some outerinfo and smitfraud driveby's on this beta machine

Ran trojanhunter, spybot, maybe a registry tool or two and the maliscous removal tool

my log is awfully sparse but I run lean and mean?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:41:35 AM, on 5/24/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\HJTHIS\renamedHJthus.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

Edited by DaChew, 24 May 2007 - 10:50 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hello DaChew,

yes, you have gone too far.

You need to realize that you are missing one important program on that computer: An antivirus. That is the reason you got infected.

This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world. :thumbsup:

You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer.

I recommend you download the free

Avast or
AntiVir or
AVG antivirus

Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give you problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously!

What problems are you seeing on this computer?

After running the antivirus program, post a fresh Hijackthis log.
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

avast found a few temp files and remnants after update and boot scan

are you sure that leaving avast running will stop driveby malware?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:40:25 PM, on 5/24/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJTHIS\renamedHJthus.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
Chewy

#4 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

Your log looks clean.

are you sure that leaving avast running will stop driveby malware?

No, I am not sure it will stop all driveby malware, but it will stop most of the viruses and many of the trojans. Not using an antivirus program is suicidal in today's digital world.

Recently I had to recommend a reformat and reload to a victim. :thumbsup: He was surfing without an antivirus program and got badly infected. Unfortunely for him, the infection was so bad that there was no other choice. Not a pretty picture. :flowers:

Let's clean your System Restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows.
The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files.
This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)

1. Turn off System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
NOTE: only do this ONCE, NOT on a regular basis

System Restore will now be active again.

Please read and follow How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
as well as
How to prevent Malware' by miekiemoes

If you want to improve speed/system performance after malware removal, take a look here.

Edited by SifuMike, 24 May 2007 - 03:44 PM.

please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the advise, unfortunately I am a power user from way back and I'll probably implement those reccomendations
for clients and friends

never use system restore

removing the avast services was harder than getting rid of outerinfo, avast did a great job tho and seems extremely well
written

thanks again
Chewy

#6 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

Since your problem appears to be resolved, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users