Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Certain Processes Shown Using Cpu When Opening Task Manager?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

I sort of brought this up in another semi-related thread, but I wanted to try to et a solid answer to why this happens and if it is normal.

When I open Task Manager, if I look at the CPU usage for the various processes listed, for a split second, it can range between 20-50% for any of the following:

svchost.exe (one of them, there are like five or six listed)
lsass.exe
csrss.exe
explorer.exe
System
taskmgr.exe (this one, I assume, is because Task Manager is opening at that instant)

But it's not all of them at the same time, it varies, and it's not every time, and the % varies as well. Then they go back down to 0 after half a second.

For example, sometimes csrss.exe is at 50% for an instant, other times lsass.exe is at 33% for an instant, sometimes it's more than one doing it at the same time, etc. I think that's all the ones that seem to do this.

Is this normal and is just a result of opening Task Manager (and the processes the do this are running for a split second because you're opening Task Manager)?

Or is this indicative of another potential issue?

Also, can someone actually test this on their XP SP2 Home system and see if the same thing happens? Start with TM closed, then open it and look. If it happens too quick, try using "Print Screen" immediately after you open TM and paste the image into Photoshop or something and see which ones are doing this, if any. It happens really fast.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 24 May 2007 - 08:33 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

I have XP Pro and the same thing happens - some tasks show a high CPU usage for a couple of seconds when Task Manager is first opened. No idea why...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

This'll vary for every system and isn't a good indicator for isolating problems. The reason is that each of us has a different set of programs and settings on our systems that are accessed differently. As such, the critical system processes will vary because of that.

You an use the free program Process Explorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to see what's going on beneath them (but it'll be a trick since it's so brief). I dunno if the free program Process Monitor will log this stuff, but it's available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm in the process of trying out Process Explorer, so I'll see if that tells me anything...
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Okay, I've got the program. What exactly am I looking for?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

You're going to look in the bowels of Process Explorer to find out what's running that causes the spikes. This isn't a chore that will be easy, and it'll take lot's of your time researching what you find. And, I suspect that you'll find that everything that's running is supposed to be running - but it'll be an interesting exercise! :thumbsup: Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

Bloomcounty,
Both ProcessExplorer and ProcMon which incorporates PE and FileMon can be paused and stopped from scrolling and can write to a notepad file. A huge notepad file. But before writing a file filters can be used.
Hover over the menu items and see Help. It's all very educational, not that I've grassped it yet. Requires patience.

CPU utilization will always vary. It has to. For instance, if you open Explorer window, it will jump up. If you run something, many things will kick in and vsmon will show a spike. And so on. Just watch it all on the side with those utilities and you'll see the pattern that actually might make some sense :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users