Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting 24 Bit Flac To 16 Bit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:01 AM

Is it possible to convert 24 bit Flac to 16 bit flac, or wave, so it can be burned to a CD or DVD? Has anyone ever done this?
There are some live music downloads available (legal of course) but if I can't burn it to a CD or DVD then I don't really want to waste the time. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

I haven't used it, but here's a piece of freeware that's supposed to convert various file formats, including .flac, to audio CD.
Burrrn

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

You're welcome, 12x48y.
Be sure to let us know, how it goes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Well it wasn't able to convert 24 bit Flac to 16 bit Flac. But after doing some research that didn't surprise me. It seems the 24 bit shows can't be burned to a cd. One person told me that he converted flac 24 to 16, but got a lot of noise and hiss. So that's not the way to go. I understand that it might be possible to burn it to a DVD. But I'll take the easy way out and stick to Flac 16 bit downloads, or SHN.

As far as "Burrrn" goes. It's not bad. In my un-professional opinion. (I'm no expert)
Personally, I prefer Nero.
Mainly because I'm familiar with it.
But if you don't have the cash to shell out for Nero, etc. then Burrrn is a good alternative. It seems to be a great little
(2.02 MB) program. I set out to critique it, but was surprised to find very little to complain about.

It gets along well with Win. XP Home, and other burning software.
It seems stable. No crashes yet.

It doesn't have a "play" option in itself. It opens Windows Media Player (WMP) by default. So you will need the
plugins for WMP to play flac, mp3, etc. No biggie.

************************************************************************************************
*Traders & tapers might want to do their own evaluation of Burrrn. I found that some copies didn't match the original fingerprints. Possibly my fault. I'm not an expert in this.
************************************************************************************************

I thought because I couldn't find a "No Pause between Tracks" option. That it would burn live music TAO. Leaving those unwanted gaps that traders hate. Not the case. I'm assuming that CDR DAO (Disc At Once) is enabled by default. That's a good thing. All my live cd's were seamless.

Flac 16;
I created an MD5 of a cd (audio PCM) with "Traders Little Helper" (TLH). Then ripped it with EAC. I encoded the wav. files to Flac at level 8 with TLH. Then made a copy with Burrn. I created an MD5 of the copy and compared fingerprints with the original. The fingerprints matched.
These are Live shows downloaded from the Internet Archive web site. (Totally ligit).

It takes about the same time as Nero to convert flac and burn a 79:35 minite cd. (CD-RW). About 21:26 minutes.

Shorten;
encoding Shorten (SHN) files I noticed a small problem; Burrrn's "Cd length" read 12 min. It should have been 75:24 MIN. But Burrrn converted the SHN files.
But, MD5 fingerprints didn't match the original.

Attemp #2 & #3 without replay gain, no noise shaping, selected. Still didn't match the original fingerprints. Could be something I did wrong. Again, I'm no expert.

MP3;
Replay gain selected, Track Adjustment, without noise shaping. A 64:04 Cd took about 17:18 MIN. (CD-RW) No problems. It burnes the Cd without any problems. It seems that if a cd was ripped with the 2 sec. pauses between tracks Burrrn seems to know, and inserts the pause.

(I bought a copy protected cd, and ripped it to my HD with Sound Forge, then converted it to an MP3, at a time before the RIAA made a big stink about making copies.(DMCA) At that time it was still legal under our constitution to make copies for your own private use. That law has changed a few times. Now I'm not sure if it's legal or not).

As far as sound quality. I couldn't hear any difference between the original cd, and the copy. But I'm old, and my hearing ain't what it used to be. So I may not be the best judge.

That's as far as I got. So far I like it.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the fairly thorough review, 12x48y. :thumbsup:

#7 earcandy

earcandy

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

On a Mac you can use the Fluke software to play Flac's in iTunes (not sure if there's a PC version)  Then you can convert these Flac files in itunes to Wav/Aiff and burn to CD.  FTI the burning software Toast can burn Flac files directly and create and audio CD.

#8 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

@earcandy

Cool thanks, I'll check Fluke out.

This is a really old thread.  I've decoded and burned hundreds of cds for the trading community since this post.  :)   Tho not so much any more.  

A lot of traders still use Burrrn.

Audacity (On my Mac, and Windows) will also decode Flac (You decode Flac, not convert)  to Wav, or Aiff, and it's free.  You can also tag them so the titles and info show up in iTunes.  :)

VLC will play Flac on a Mac.

Toast is very good, but expensive.  I use it quite often, and it has a neat "Compare" tool that can compare two folders.  I use it to compare the cd copy to the cd original, when making a copy for trades.  (Legal for trade, of course)

I personally wouldn't burn a cd with iTunes.  In my tests, iTunes could not rip and burn an exact copy of the cd.  I still use EAC to rip and Nero to burn, it gives me an exact cd copy 99% of the time.  :)

Edited by 12x48y, 31 October 2013 - 06:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users